19 August,2026 01:30 PM IST | Moscow | mid-day online correspondent
The remarks come amid continuing tensions and military hostilities across West Asia, including the ongoing confrontation between the US and Iran. FILE PIC
Lieutenant General Apti Alaudinov, deputy chief of the Russian Armed Forces' Main Military-Political Department and commander of the Akhmat special forces unit, told Russia's TASS news agency that the ongoing conflict in West Asia could ultimately result in Israel ceasing to exist as a state.
"We must realise that the war in the Middle East will only escalate," Alaudinov said.
He further stated that Israel was seeking to widen the conflict and draw both the United States (US) and the entire North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) bloc into the confrontation, news agency ANI reported, citing TASS. Alaudinov argued that such an escalation could ultimately work against Israel and lead to its disappearance as a state.
"I believe that is precisely Israel's objective to ramp up the conflict as much as possible and drag both the US and the entire NATO bloc into it. They are good at this. Ultimately, they will overestimate their strength and cease to exist as a state," he added.
The remarks come amid continuing tensions and military hostilities across West Asia, including the ongoing confrontation between the US and Iran.
Meanwhile, US President Donald Trump has asked his negotiating team to hold off talks with Iran until Tehran is "ready to make a deal", according to Al Jazeera.
An official told Al Jazeera that the US had been engaged in "positive talks" with Iran, but Trump had "decided to wait" before proceeding further.
"There is no conflict" in the US administration's approach towards talks with Iran, the official added.
Earlier on Tuesday (local time), Trump contradicted Iran's position on the strategic waterway, stating that the naval blockade remained "in full force and effect" while the Strait of Hormuz was "open and operating".
In a post on Truth Social, Trump said there were no talks or discussions currently taking place with Tehran. He also said the Strait of Hormuz was operational and that naval mines had been removed or detonated.
"There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran. The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect. The Hormuz Strait is open and operating," Trump said.
Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf also criticised senior US officials over Washington's approach to negotiations with Tehran.
Ghalibaf alleged that the US believed increasing economic or military pressure on Iran would force Tehran to accept concessions beyond the existing agreement.
In a post on X, Ghalibaf hit out at US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent and US Secretary of War Pete Hegseth, saying both were "way out of their league" in seeking to exert economic and military pressure on the Islamic Republic. He argued that such tactics would not force Tehran to accept additional concessions.
He further urged the US leadership to stop relying on its officials to resolve the situation and instead take responsibility for the problems it had created.
"Americans think squeezing Iran harder will win concessions that were never part of the agreement. Bessent and Hegseth are way out of their league. Stop waiting for the clown crew to pull a rabbit out of their hat and clean up the mess you made," his post read.
(With inputs from ANI)