34 killed in twin Libya car bomb attacks

Published: Jan 24, 2018, 22:01 IST | IANS | Benghazi

These are the most violent bombings in Benghazi in months after the eastern Army led by General Khalifa Haftar took control

BlastRepresentational Picture

At least 34 people have been killed in twin car bombings near a mosque in the Libyan city of Benghazi, a media source said on Wednesday.Information official of Benghazi Medical Centre Khalil Gweder told Xinhua news agency: "The centre received nine bodies and 34 injured people."

Gweder added that the death toll in the centre was "final". Fadia Al-Barghathi, an official from the Information Office of Al-Jelaa Hospital in Benghazi, said the hospital received 25 bodies and 51 injured people. Two car bombs hit Benghazi on Tuesday night. The first one exploded in front of a mosque as worshipers exited the mosque after night prayer. The second one exploded in the same location following the arrival of ambulances.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attacks.The commander of the Army's Special Investigation Unit, Ahmed Ali Al-Fitouri, was killed in one of the attacks. Brigadier General Mahdi Al-Falah, a senior Libyan intelligence official, was injured in the first explosion.

These are the most violent bombings in Benghazi in months after the eastern Army led by General Khalifa Haftar took control of the entire city and the completion of the military operations against terrorist groups in Benghazi. The UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) on Tuesday condemned the attacks.

"UNSMIL condemns the horrific bombings in al-Salmani residential neighbourhood in Benghazi causing many casualties, including civilians," said the mission in a post on its Facebook page. The UN-backed government of national accord in Tripoli condemned the attack, announcing mourning for three days. The eastern-based House of Representatives also condemned the attack, calling on the international community to help Libya in fighting terrorism.

The International Committee of the Red Cross announced that urgent medical assistance had been provided to Al-Jelaa Hospital in Benghazi."As a humanitarian response following the two car bombs in Salmani district, Al-Jelaa Hospital was supported by urgent medical donations to treat the injured," the committee said.

The assistance includes more than a tonne of surgical supplies and medicines sufficient to treat 50 seriously injured people. Libya has been suffering insecurity and chaos since the uprising that toppled former leader Muammar Gaddafi's regime in 2011. The country is plagued with unrest and political division.

The content/reporting displayed on our website www.mid-day.com is provided "AS-IS," "AS AVAILABLE, by us from third party, agencies, sources, without any verification from our side. It may contain error, bugs and other limitations. The reader's can rely on the content at their own will. Mid-day accepts no responsibility or liability for its dependability, trustworthiness, reliability, data, text, images, video, messages, or any other material whatsoever or for any claims/loss/action that the reader may suffer as a result of relying on the content on our site. Mid-day management/mid-day.com reserves the sole right to alter, delete or remove (without notice) the content in its absolute discretion for any reason whatsoever.

Catch up on all the latest Mumbai news, current affairs from Mumbai, local news, crime news and breaking headlines here

Download the new mid-day Android and iOS apps to get updates on all the latest and trending stories on the go

Trending Video

Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.com

Subscribe
Loading...

Car bomb blast killed 28 people in Ankara

NEXT STORY
This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK