Ashes Quiz: England vs Australia - Crack these googlies and straight ones
As another edition of cricket's greatest traditional rivalry kicks off in Brisbane, mid-day sends down some England v Australia googlies and straight ones
As another edition of cricket's greatest traditional rivalry kicks off in Brisbane, mid-day sends down some England v Australia googlies and straight ones.
1. The Melbourne Cricket Ground hosted the first ever England v Australia Test in 1877. Can you guess how many people turned up on Day One?
a) 13,000, b) 1,900, c) 2,500
2. On which ground was the first ever England v Australia Test held in England?
3. Who was the first English-born player to score a Test century in England v Australia cricket?
4. Charles Bannerman, the first centurion in Test cricket had to retire after scoring 165. Why?
5. Who is this deadly fast bowler who helped England triumph in 1932-33
6. How many runs did Don Bradman score in his first Ashes innings?
7. How much did Bradman average during the controversial Bodyline series of 1932-33?
a) 40-plus, b) 50-plus, c) under-20.
8. Which famous cricket personality's father owned the newspaper Bradman was contracted to write for during the Bodyline series?
9. In which Test of the 1932-33 Bodyline did Australia captain Bill Woodfull accuse the Englishmen of not playing according to the spirit of the game?
10. Who is this former Australia captain?
11. When was the only time Bradman performed 12th man duties in a Test?
12. Who was Australia's first captain in the post-Bradman era?
13. Frank Tyson terrorised Australia with his pace in 1954-55, but what were his analysis in his first Ashes innings?
a) 2-120, b) 1-160, c) 0-98.
14. Which Indian-born batsman made his debut for England in the 1954-55 Ashes series?
15. A great England bowler (right) of the 1950s and 1960s. Who is he?
16. Which Australian opener scored a splendid hundred in a Lord's Test which was called the battle of the ridge?
17. When Jim Laker claimed 19 wickets in the 1956 Manchester Test, which bowler who also bowled marvellously, claimed only one wicket?
18. "Whoever does, will be bloody tired." Which fast bowler uttered these words after his record-setting feat in 1964?
19. I made my Test debut in the Bradman era. I went on to be an all-time batting great. Yet, I captained by country only once and that too because of an injury to the regular captain. Who am I?
20. His son is part of the current Ashes. Who is this former player?
21. Which Australian captain in the 1970s never lost a series to England after being given the job for the seventh Test in 1970-71?
22. How many Ashes series did Australia win under Greg Chappell?
a) One, b) Three, c) None.
23. Apart from Alastair, who are the other Cooks to play against Australia?
24. Which ground will, in all probability, host its last Ashes Test this summer?
25. He was famously struck on the head by John Snow in 1971. He later became Shane Warne's spin guru. Who is he?
26. Can you name at least three players from both teams over the years whose surnames start and end with 'wood'?
27. Five of the 22 players who were part of the Sydney Test in the 2006-07 Ashes did not play Test cricket again. Name them.
28. The late Phil Hughes played seven Ashes Tests. How much did he average against England?
a) Below 10, b) 40-plus, c) Below 20
29. How many times James Anderson has claimed five or more wickets in an innings on Australian soil?
30. Who is this dashing Australian batsman who scored hundreds in his first two Tests against England?
Answers to Ashes quiz
1. c) 2,500
2. The Oval
3. Charles Bannerman
4. Injured finger
5. Harold Larwood
8. Kerry Packer
11.Against England at Sydney in the 1928-29 Ashes
23.Geoff (in 1982-83) and Nick (in 1989)
24.WACA in Perth
26.Bill Woodfull, Graeme Wood, Harold Larwood, Derek Underwood
27.Justin Langer, Glenn McGrath, Shane Warne (Australia), Chris Read and Sajid Mahmood
Also View Photos: Bowled And Beautiful: Cricketers And Their Pretty Wives And Girlfriends
Cricket World Cup 2019: Indian Team leaves for England