Empty local train catches fire near Thane station
Authorities have also not ruled out the possibility of miscreants setting the fire on purpose
An empty rake caught fire near Thane Station on Friday. Pic/Twitter
An empty rake of a local train caught fire early on Wednesday morning. The incident occurred while the 12-coach train was stationary near the Thane railway station. No person was injured in the fire.
The fire was immediately attended to by the local fire brigade and doused within half an hour. Officials have also launched an investigation to identify the source of the fire.
Here's the video of an empty Mumbai local train coach that caught fire in Thane yard last night. No injuries. Rlys have ordered inquiry. pic.twitter.com/IIXVlYw3Ip— Rajendra B. Aklekar (@rajtoday) January 17, 2018
Authorities have also not ruled out the possibility of miscreants setting the fire on purpose. A report in the Hindustan Times quotes disaster management control officer from Thane Municipal Corporation, Santosh Kadam as having stated, "We reached the site with four fire brigades, two water tankers and one rescue vehicle. It took around 30 minutes to douse the fire. Nobody was hurt. The train was parked after it completed its last journey so it’s possible that there was a short circuit because of overheating.
Kadam is reported to have added, "Getting the fire engines near Thane station was a task because of the low height of the flyover near the station, so we took the alternative B-Cabin Road. During the day, this road is jam-packed, but as it was late night, thankfully the roads were empty" According to the report a committee of senior officers headed by a safety officer will be set up to investigate the incident.
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Mumbai: Local train derails at Kurla station, no casualties reported