EPL: Man United's pain double up

Feb 22, 2015, 09:27 IST | PA Sport

Swansea complete first-ever league double over Manchester giants with 2-1 victory at home

Swansea: Swansea completed their first-ever league double over Manchester United to dent the Red Devils’ hopes of finishing in the Champions League places.

The Welsh club had won 2-1 at Old Trafford on the opening day of the season but a repeat looked unlikely when Ander Herrera fired United into a 28th-minute lead.

Robin Van Persie (left) and Wayne Rooney of Manchester United react after Swansea scored their second goal at the Liberty Stadium on Saturday. PIC/Getty Images 

But Ki Sung-yueng equalised within two minutes and Jonjo Shelvey’s 73rd minute strike — which took a crucial deflection off team-mate Bafetimbi Gomis -- gave Swansea only a second win in eight English Premier League attempts as they prevailed 2-1.

Out of top 4
United manager Louis van Gaal had claimed his side were the best in the top flight on current form after losing only once in 19 games in all competitions but performances have rarely matched results and this will do little for their ambitions of finishing in the top four.

Swansea started by changing their system with a diamond matching United’s as Wayne Rooney again operated up front for the visitors with Robin van Persie replacing the misfiring Radamel Falcao following the FA Cup victory at Preston.

United were nearly the architects of their own downfall inside five minutes when Marcos Rojo’s poor pass set up Gylfi Sigurdsson’s blocked shot and a corner from which Swansea almost profited.



Chelsea frustrated by draw vs Burnley

London: Ten-man Chelsea dropped two points at Stamford Bridge as the English Premier League leaders were held to a 1-1 draw by struggling Burnley. Defender Branislav Ivanovic’s fourth goal in six appearances put the hosts ahead after Eden Hazard had brilliantly skipped past four players.

However, Nemanja Matic was dismissed midway through the second half after he reacted violently to an excessive challenge by Ashley Barnes, meaning he now misses next weekend’s League Cup final. 

Barnes, who escaped any sanction for the tackle and could face retrospective action, forced Thibaut Courtois into a brilliant save but from the subsequent corner Ben Mee scored nine minutes from time. That gave renewed hope to second-placed Manchester City in their late kick-off at home to Newcastle.

Go to top