Football abuse hotline receives over 860 calls in its first week

Updated: Dec 02, 2016, 11:06 IST | PA Sport

Referrals from calls to a dedicated football abuse hotline more than tripled the amount made in the first three days of the Jimmy Savile scandal, the NSPCC has revealed. Launched on November 23 to support the victims of child sex abuse within football, the charity said more than 860 calls had been made to the helpline in its first week

London: Referrals from calls to a dedicated football abuse hotline more than tripled the amount made in the first three days of the Jimmy Savile scandal, the NSPCC has revealed. Launched on November 23 to support the victims of child sex abuse within football, the charity said more than 860 calls had been made to the helpline in its first week.

NSPCC chief executive Peter Wanless said there had been a "staggering surge" in the amount of people getting in touch. "The number of high-profile footballers bravely speaking out about their ordeal has rightly caught the attention of the entire country."

The helpline was set up with the support and funding of the FA. Within two hours of the opening of the helpline, the charity said it had been contacted 50 times by members of the public. Within the first three days, it had made 60 referrals to the police or children's services. The charity made 17 referrals in the same time frame following the opening of its Savile helpline in 2012.

Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.com

Subscribe

'I am fine' says Brain Lara from the Hospital Bed in Mumbai

This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK