Hima Das: 5 Facts You Need to Know About the Indian Athlete Who Created History
Indian athelete Hima Das is the toast of the nation after winning the first ever Gold for India at an international track and field event. 18-year-old Hima Das won the 400m Gold in 51.46 seconds at the IAAF World U20 Championships in Finland
Hima Das is the new sporting sensation of the nation after winning the first ever track and field Gold for India at an international event. The girl from Assam won the 400m Gold in 51.46 seconds at the IAAF World U20 Championships in Tampere, Finland.
Here are 5 interesting facts you need to know about Hima Das:
- Hima Das is the daughter of a farmer and has grown up on the rice fields of Assam
- Hima Das started off playing football when she was younger, but then took up running after a local coach advised her to do so
- Hima Das’s coach Nipon Das shifted her 140kms away from her village to Guwahati , in order to train at the Sarusajai Sports Complex
- Hima Das won the 400m Gold at the IAAF World U20 Championships in Tampere, Finland with a time of 51.46 seconds. However, Hima Das’s personal best 400m race time came in June this year at the Inter State Championships in Guwahati, where she clocked 51.13 seconds.
- Hima Das also competed at the 2018 Commonwealth Games in both the 400 metres and the 4x400 metres relay. In the 400m race Das qualified for the final where she finished sixth with a time of 51.32 seconds, 1.17 seconds behind gold medalist Amantle Montsho from Botswana. In the 4x400 metres relay she was part of the Indian team that competed in the final where they finished seventh clocking a time of three minutes and 33 seconds
IPL 2018: Facts about Mumbai Indians you need to know now!