I lost my hall ticket in the fire, says Mumbai student

Mar 29, 2015, 11:48 IST | Delaveen Cherag Tarapore

Class 12 student Sameeka Samal lost her CBSE examination hall ticket, study material and belongings after her flat caught fire at Dosti Acres Complex in Wadala yesterday

A fire broke out in flat number 501 on the fifth floor of Dosti Acres Complex in Wadala around 12.36 pm yesterday. While no casualties were reported, a Class 12 student, Sameeka Samal, who is to appear for her last CBSE examination on April 6, lost her hall ticket.

Dosti Acres Complex in Wadala saw a fire yesterday
Dosti Acres Complex in Wadala saw a fire yesterday

The incident
The smoke spread to flat no 601 on the sixth floor and blackened it completely, though no other loss was reported. “I was at home when I saw smoke entering my house from all side. I rushed to the balcony to collect the clothes hung for drying, when I spotted the flames coming out from the flat below ours,” said Lata Babu, who lives in 601.

Each floor in the building has four flats, but only one flat caught fire. The residents of the flat on the fifth floor had gone out when the fire broke out. “My daughter and I were out when we got a call. I am still in shock,” said Manjula, Sameeka’s mother.

Studies must go on
Along with her hall ticket, Sameeka lost all her study material and belongings, too. “I have lost my hall ticket, mark sheets, certificates, and all my books and notes,” said the Kendriya Vidyala, Koliwada School student who has to appear for the Accounts paper next month.

Sameeka plans to speak to her school  authorities about a duplicate hall ticket. “My family friends have brought me new books and study material so I can study. I plan to buy a collection of previous years’ question papers,” said a courageous Sameeka.

The family has presently shifted to a guest house in the same area. The cause of the fire has not been confirmed, but it could be a short circuit in the air conditioner.

Go to top