ICC Test rankings: Philander dethrones Ashwin; Warner, Harris move up
David Warner and Ryan Harris, heroes of Australia's 245-run win over host South Africa have achieved their best-ever positions in the latest ICC Test Player Rankings
Dubai: Australian batsman David Warner and fast bowler Ryan Harris, heroes of Australia's 245-run win over host South Africa in the Cape Town Test have achieved their best-ever positions in the latest International Cricket Council (ICC) Player Rankings for Tests, released Thursday.
Warner, who slammed hundreds (135 and 145) in both innings of the Cape Town Test, has moved up five places to a career high of fifth in the Reliance ICC Player Rankings for Test Batsmen. Warner was named the player of the match for his efforts with the bat.
David Warner and Ryan Harris. Pic/ AFP
Warner, who also won the player of the series award, is now the highest ranked Australia batsman, with his skipper Michael Clarke in ninth position being the only other in the top 10. The batting table is still headed by AB de Villiers, with Kumar Sangakkara in second place and Shivnarine Chanderpaul in third position.
In the ICC Player Rankings for Test Bowlers, Ryan Harris who ended with a match haul of seven for 95, has moved up two places to a best ever second position. Harris has now moved ahead of Vernon Philander and teammate Mitchell Johnson.
Vernon Philander. Pic/ AFP
Philander, who picked up just one wicket in the Cape Town Test, is down a place to third, while Johnson has dropped down a place to fourth. The bowlers' table is still headed by Dale Steyn.
Meanwhile, the only solace for South Africa from the Cape Town Test was in the fact that Philander has now become the No.1 ranked all-rounder on the Reliance ICC Player Rankings for Test all-rounders.
Philander, who scored 37 and 51 not out in either innings, has moved up two places to top of the all-rounders' table, pushing India's Ravichandran Ashwin to second. Philander is now on 376 ratings points, just three ahead of Ashwin.
1. AB de Villiers (South Africa) 922 rating points
2. Kumar Sangakkara (Sri Lanka) 879
3. Shivnarine Chanderpaul (West Indies) 876
4. Hashim Amla (South Africa) 873
5. David Warner (Australia) 871
6. Ross Taylor (New Zealand) 842
7. Misbah-ul-Haq (Pakistan) 824
8. Cheteshwar Pujara (India) 819
9. Michael Clarke (Australia) 818
10.Virat Kohli (India) 784
1. Dale Steyn (South Africa) 898
2. Ryan Harris (Australia) 870
3. Vernon Philander (South Africa) 865
4. Mitchell Johnson (Australia) 844
5. Saeed Ajmal (Pakistan) 787
6. Rangana Herath (Sri Lanka) 774
7. Trent Boult (New Zealand) 767
8. Tim Southee (New Zealand) 757
9. Ravichandran Ashwin (India) 744
10. Peter Siddle (Australia) 733
1. Vernon Philander (South Africa) 376
2. Ravichandran Ashwin (India) 373
3. Shakib Al Hasan (Bangladesh) 364
4. Stuart Broad (England) 291
5. Mitchell Johnson (Australia) 280