Liverpool hold Manchester City 2-2

Aug 27, 2012, 09:19 IST | AFP

Liverpool hold defending champs Manchester City 2-2

Reigning champions Manchester City twice came from behind in a 2-2 draw away to Liverpool that denied Brendan Rodgers his first Premier League win as Reds manager yesterday.

Martin Skrtel went from hero to villain in the course of an exciting match at Anfield, heading Liverpool in front before his loose back-pass set up the goal for Carlos Tevez that saw City make it 2-2 ten minutes from time.

Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel (second from right) heads the ball home during yesterday’s EPL tie against Manchester City at Anfield in Liverpool. Pic/AFP

A much-improved Liverpool, shock 3-0 losers to West Bromwich Albion last week, took the lead when Skrtel powered in a header from Steven Gerrard’s 34th minute corner.

But City, who came through a see-saw clash to beat newcomers Southampton 3-2 in their league opener, were level in the 63rd minute when Yaya Toure capitalised on the failure of Liverpool’s Martin Kelly to clear a Tevez cross.

However, parity lasted for just three minutes until, following a Jack Rodwell handball, Liverpool striker Luis Suarez curled the ensuing 20-yard free-kick round the wall and beyond the despairing dive of City and England goalkeeper Joe Hart.

Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud (centre) attempts to score during yesterday’s EPL tie against Stoke City. Pic/AFP

But Argentina striker Tevez, with his 100th goal in English football, drew City level again in the 80th minute when he seized on a stray back-pass from defender Skrtel and then calmly rounded Pepe Reina before slotting home.

Gunners can’t score
Earlier, both Stoke City and Arsenal remained in search of their first EPL win of the season after a goalless draw at the Britannia Stadium. The Gunners had the best of the chances but, in the absence of star striker Robin van Persie — sold to Manchester United — failed to find the back of the net in a second successive goalless draw.

Go to top