Movie Review: 'Dumb and Dumber To'
If you're a fan of the original 'Dumb and Dumber', and are contemplating on seeing 'Dumb and Dumber To', you'd be wise to take a gander at five qualities of this poor excuse of a movie
'Dumb and Dumber To'
Starring: Jim Carrey, Jeff Daniels
Director: The Farrelly Brothers
A few years ago 'Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd' released in theaters. It was panned as one of the worst movies to ever grace cinema screens. Twenty years post the original movie and we finally have a sequel. What the sequel does is top the aforementioned movie in terms of awfulness.
The level of humour in Dumb and Dumber To transcends lowbrow
If you're a fan of the original 'Dumb and Dumber', and are contemplating on seeing 'Dumb and Dumber To', you'd be wise to take a gander at five qualities of this poor excuse of a movie:
1) 'Dumb and Dumber To' is as smart as its title. The fact that 'two' was deliberately misspelled as 'To' is a throwback to Lloyd's inability to spell correctly. He couldn't pronounce the word 'the' in the original film, and that joke is considered as the crown jewel of that movie and presented to you as the sales pitch for this film.
2) Lloyd Christmas and Harry Dunne are no longer likable. They're older but not funnier. It seems they parted with their funny bones along with their youth. What you get is a really mean version of Lloyd and Harry. Lloyd in particular has become despicable – a trait that the original film deliberately avoided. These two are supposed to be harmless sweet old men stuck in unfortunate circumstances, now they're a couple of pricks whose only aim in life is to cause trouble.
3) The level of humor in the film transcends lowbrow. This is not scraping the bottom of the barrel, this is walking into the barrel naked, making weird faces, carving a hole in the barrel that covers the nether regions and asking you for money. The best jokes in the film involve an old woman taking advantage of Lloyd and making him touch her inappropriately, and Lloyd wanting to jump in bed with Harry's daughter after just looking at her photograph. Not even Harry and Lloyd would find this funny.
4) The original film didn't have a good story, it was all about one clever gag making way for another. This film does not have gags, but a string of rejected skits from Saturday Night Live pieced clumsily together to make a movie. There is literally no difference between this movie and Farelly brothers' attempt at reimagining The Three Stooges, except in the insensitivity of the jokes.
5) Everything you saw in the trailers of this movie, are the funniest parts of this movie. It's unfortunately a curse that is carried upon by nearly every comedy movie made in Hollywood. If you still haven't seen the trailers of this movie, avoid them like plague, that is if you plan to see the film in the first place.
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Shah Rukh Khan launches heritage postal stamp of Bandra station