One month-old girl dies at Wadia hospital

Published: 30 December, 2012 07:18 IST | Naveen Nair |

Baby girl was operated twice for cyst near abdomen; parents claim the second operation was done to rectify damage done during the first one

The one month-old daughter of Vinod and Sushma Nyaynirgune breathed her last at Wadia hospital on Friday. Born on November 13, the baby was operated upon a cyst that had formed near her abdomen within five days of her birth. But the parents alleged negligence on the part of the doctors led to their daughter’s death. 

The sonography report of the baby revealed a cyst near the abdomen. After the first operation, the doctors informed her parents that there was a need for another surgery as puss had accumulated in the area.

Wadia hospital where the baby girl breathed her last on Friday. File pic

The second operation was performed on November 21 and it was here Vinod discovered that the doctors had injured the baby’s intestine, with scissors, while performing the first operation.

Vinod alleged that the second operation was performed to rectify the damage. He also wrote to the hospital administration demanding an explanation.

The baby was admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU) and the first surgery was performed on December 17 to save the child, who was battling for life.
The Nyaynirgunes preferred Nowrosjee Wadia Maternity hospital for the birth of their daughter (their third child) as Sushma had delivered her previous two babies in the same hospital.

Vinod said he had great faith in the doctors of Wadia hospital because of their past experiences and hoped that their daughter would be home soon.

A senior doctor, requesting anonymity, said the inquiry committee report was unclear on what exactly caused to the baby’s condition to deteriorate. The doctor claimed that the committee, comprising medical experts, were asked to concentrate only on the timing of the surgeries and sonography examination of the child.

The doctor said, “The baby had a benign mass in her intestine, which required a surgery. But the baby was too young to be operated upon and the doctors should have waited for a few more days. It is very essential for the baby to be hemodynamically stable for any kind surgery to be performed on her. The doctors took a wrong decision of operating her, which was not required this early.”

Cop speak
Senior Police Inspector Vikram Patil of the Bhoiwada police station said, “The baby’s father has lodged a complaint of medical negligence against the Wadia hospital and we are investigating the matter. They haven’t withdrawn the complaint against the hospital yet. However, the family did not get the post-mortem done. Also, they haven’t approached us with further complaints.” 

Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from

loading image
This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK