Sex Abused Scandal: Former Chelsea player claims club paid him to stay silent

Updated: Dec 03, 2016, 12:27 IST | AFP |

A former Chelsea player has claimed sex abused scandal

London: A former Chelsea player has claimed he was paid £50,000 ($63,000) by the Premier League club not to go public about allegations that he was sexually abused by its former chief scout. 

Gary Johnson, 57, told The Mirror yesterday that he had been abused as a youth player by Eddie Heath, who is now dead. Speaking to the Daily Mirror, which reported that Chelsea had now waived the confidentiality clause in Johnson's settlement, he said: "I think that they were paying me to keep a lid on this. Millions of fans around the world watch Chelsea. All their fans deserve to know the truth. I know they asked me to sign a gagging order and how many others are there out there? They may have paid others. I hope and pray no clubs are allowed to cover this up — no one should escape justice. We need total transparency now for the good of the game."

Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.com

Subscribe
Loading...

Snooker champ Aditya Mehta: Pro Snooker is cut-throat but that's what I live for

NEXT STORY
This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK