Suicide Drama: Distressed, labourer jumps off crane, then hangs on for dear life

Updated: Oct 19, 2018, 19:24 IST | Pallavi Smart | Mumbai

Upset at being falsely accused of theft, 25-year-old from Jharkhand tries to kill himself but holds on at the last minute and climbs back to safety

The youth during the two-hour-long drama after his arrest. Pics/Nimesh Dave
The youth during the two-hour-long drama after his arrest. Pics/Nimesh Dave

The mood across the city was celebratory yesterday, but a whole different nail-biting drama was unfolding at a 14-storey under-construction building on Sahar Road. Though the site was closed for the festival, a labourer (name withheld) from Jharkhand working there had managed to find his way to the top, almost undetected, to jump off.

The youth during the two-hour-long drama

Reason: he was upset after being accused by his colleague of stealing the latter's money. For nearly two hours, he kept onlookers, authorities and other labourers on tenterhooks. But at last, there was a collective sigh of relief after some immediate counselling by a fire officer and site contractors managed to get him to climb down.

The youth during the two-hour-long drama

The trigger
It all started around 3.30 pm, when a few people from the construction site spotted the youth on the edge of the crane, set on the 14th floor. "Because the site was closed, nobody noticed him going up," said a labourer. A contractor said, "There was an argument among the labourers after one of them found out that his money had been stolen. This youth was accused, which made him angry, and he ran to the top floor to jump. "There is no clarity yet on the theft. All we know is that the accusation pained him. We will now talk to him to understand the issue."

The youth during the two-hour-long drama after his arrest
The youth during the two-hour-long drama after his arrest

With bated breath
The youth stayed on the crane for nearly 45 minutes. All who had gathered underneath had a heart-in-mouth moment when he jumped but caught the crane at the last minute and held on for a while. Five minutes later, he pulled himself back up and started walking back to the floor to come down, signalling an end to the drama.

Mukund Pawar, senior inspector at Andheri police station, who was present at the spot, said, "We received a call from the control room regarding this. Our officers are taking care of the situation. Now that he has been saved, we will know what exactly drove him to take such a drastic step."

Also Read: Mumbai: 30-year-old man rescued by police from Aksa beach

Catch up on all the latest Mumbai news, crime news, current affairs, and also a complete guide on Mumbai from food to things to do and events across the city here. Also download the new mid-day Android and iOS apps to get latest updates

Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from


Aditya Thackeray gears up for Maharashtra assembly polls

This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK