Suicide or overdose? 37-year-old found dead in Amboli flat

Updated: 22 January, 2016 11:45 IST | Shiva Devnath |

A 37-year-old woman's decomposed body was found in her Andheri flat on Saturday. Cops still don't know whether she committed suicide or died of an overdose

Investigations into the mysterious death of a 37-year-old woman, has lead the Amboli police to bizarre revelations about her life. However, the cops have still not been able to figure out whether it was a suicide or an overdose. They have not ruled out murder either.

Also Read: Woman found dead at posh South Mumbai high-rise

Oberoi Chambers, where Ruhi’s decomposed body was found. Pic/Shadab Khan
Oberoi Chambers, where Ruhi’s decomposed body was found. Pic/Shadab Khan

The woman has been identified as Ruhi Mobh. Her post–mortem has confirmed that she died due to an overdose. The police are now trying to find out what drugs she consumed. “We have registered a case of unnatural death and trying to find out whether the death was a suicide or overdose,” said Ramesh Kharthare, senior police inspector of the Amboli police station.

Mobh’s body was found on Saturday, after the police received a phone call from the secretary of the Oberoi Chambers building in Andheri (west). He had stumbled upon the woman’s body when he opened her office after noticing a foul smell.

Read Story: 56-year-old woman found murdered in apartment

Ruhi’s face was in a decomposed state. She was also the owner of the office. They also found her mobile phone at the spot. The police then registered a case of accidental death and sent the body for post mortem. As the investigations began, police officers from the Amboli police station sent Ruhi’s mobile phone to the forensic department and requested for her call data records.

The police officers found the number of one Arshad Ansari on her call records. The police called Ansari and found out that Ruhi owned four flats and an office and had come to Mumbai from the United States of America a year and a half ago.

The Mumbai properties had been gifted to Ruhi by her father Harun Mobh, who does not stay with her. Police said Harun owns a ship spare parts business in Gujarat. The police also found out that Ruhi has a sister and mother, who she hasn’t contacted in years.

Ansari told the police that Ruhi was his friend and used to visit his house. However, she had not contacted him in the past three months. According to the investigating officers, a few months ago, cops had taken Ruhi to the Cooper Hospital after an alleged overdose. During her brief time there, she befriended a woman named Afreen Shaikh.

The police questioned Shaikh yesterday. She said that after they became friends, Ruhi often called her and met her. Around three months ago, when Ruhi had come over to Shaikh’s house for lunch, she showed her American credit cards and photos of her two houses in America. She also revealed to Shaikh that when she was four years old her mother used to beat her up and tortured her.

First Published: 20 January, 2016 16:44 IST

Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from

loading image
This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK