Tragic: A year after tanker crushes cop, daughter dies in similar accident

Jun 23, 2016, 06:36 IST | Rupsa Chakraborty

24-year-old Divyashree Naik fell off a bike on Sion bridge during rain and was crushed under a tanker on Tuesday; her father died under similar circumstances a year ago

Divyashree Naik carried a heavy burden on her tender shoulders — of following in her late father’s footsteps in the police force and helping her mother rebuild her life. On Tuesday, that dream died too young. The 24-year-old resident of the police quarters in Bhendi Bazaar fell off a bike during a spell of heavy rain and came under the wheels of a tanker, meeting an instant death.

The cruel quirk of fate: her father, police constable, died under similar circumstances a year ago. She was set to undergo training in another 15 days to become a constable as well, a job offered to her after her father’s death.

Divyashree Naik wanted to follow in her father’s footsteps
Divyashree Naik wanted to follow in her father’s footsteps

The police said it was raining when Divyashree and a friend were riding a bike on the Sion bridge around 3 pm on Tuesday when it skidded. While her friend fell away from the oncoming traffic, Divyashree was flung towards the middle of the road. A tanker ran over her, killing her on the spot.

Her father, Suresh Naik, too, had fallen off his bike and had been crushed under a vehicle last year.

Soniya Solanki, Divyashree’s cousin, said the 24-year-old had been offered a job in the police department. “The training was to begin in 15 days. She had even joined typing classes as, often, constables are dictated notes.”

Soniya said Divyashree was the Naiks’ only child and had just cleared her Std XII examinations. “She had dropped out of school after Std XI. To meet the minimum qualification for a job in the police force, she sat for the Std XII examinations.”

Divyashree’s mother, Sonal, said a police job had never been the young woman’s plan till Suresh’s death. “After his death, she became keen on joining the force.”

A relative expressed the family’s shock over the cruel turn of fate. “We had never imagined that she would meet the same fate as her father,” said a relative.

After her post-mortem examination at Sion Hospital, which stated that she had died of cerebral injuries, Divyashree’s the last rites were performed at Walkeshwar.

Her co-rider sustained only minor injuries, said Senior Inspector BM Kakad, Matunga police station.

Go to top