The CNG-powered bus with 20-25 commuters on board was on route no. 51 (Santacruz to Colaba) when the driver noticed sparks coming from the gearbox around 1.15 pm, they said
Representative Image. Pic/iStock
A 'short circuit' triggered a fire in a BEST bus in Mumbai's Bandra area on Wednesday afternoon, officials said. Nobody was injured in the accident, they said.
The CNG-powered bus with 20-25 commuters on board was on route no. 51 (Santacruz to Colaba) when the driver noticed sparks coming from the gearbox around 1.15 pm, they said.
The driver stopped the vehicle, which was on Turner Road, while the conductor asked the commuters to get down, said the Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport (BEST) administration.
Also read: Republic Day: Weapons seized, 'wanted' arrested as Mumbai Police conduct ‘all out operation’ to enhance security
A fire brigade official said that two fire engines and an ambulance were sent to the spot and the fire was hosed down in a few minutes.
But the bus was completely gutted, they said.
BEST officials said non-AC bus was a wet-leased one and belonged to operator Mateshwari.
The public transporter has more than 3,000 buses in its fleet and nearly 30 lakh commuters use its services every day.
This story has been sourced from a third party syndicated feed, agencies. Mid-day accepts no responsibility or liability for its dependability, trustworthiness, reliability and data of the text. Mid-day management/mid-day.com reserves the sole right to alter, delete or remove (without notice) the content in its absolute discretion for any reason whatsoever.