Frustrated residents in Malad and Kandivli have warned of protests if redevelopment approvals are not granted. They allege the BMC has stopped issuing NOCs post-2024, leaving old and unsafe structures without a path forward
A building in Malad East in need of redevelopment for the past five years. PICS/BY SPECIAL ARRANGEMENT
On Sunday, a large number of people from around 600 societies from Malad and Kandivli conducted a joint meeting and took the signatures of 80 societies to start a campaign, as they have not been able to redevelop their societies since 2014 due to being located in a 500-yard radius of defence lands. They have requested the defence ministry and government to scrap the old gazette in this regard.
The residents told mid-day that after 2024, BMC stopped giving NOCs for redevelopment. Most existing societies are around 45 years old, and many have been demolished as they were in the C-1 (very dangerous, dilapidated) category, but all such building redevelopment has been stuck due to the 1967 defence gazette.
Defence gazette says…
The gazette states that all societies located within a 500-yard radius are not allowed any kind of development of their lands. Any development requires permission from the defence ministry and civic authorities.

mid-day had earlier reported on how 200 societies in Juhu were facing issues of redevelopment due to this gazette. A total of three defence land parcels are located at Malad and Kandivli. Atul Bhatkar, MLA from Kandivali, also joined the meeting and gave an assurance that he will help local residents.
Resident Speak
Dilip Jain, Malad East plot owner
In 2019, our building was demolished due to being in the C-1 category. Our plot is located less than 500 yards from defence land. We have a total of 150 flats, including commercial spaces. But we can undergo redevelopment only if we get permission.
Anand Alhat, Pushpa Park, Malad East
My society was demolished due to being in the C-1 category five years ago, but after that, we didn’t get any approval for redevelopment. The BMC is also not giving any NOC, nor giving any statements in writing. Our project is stuck. Residents and commercial shop owners are struggling.
Sandeep Tamhane, chairman, Jay Shivam Society, Malad East
We have a total of 104 flats and 500 residents. Our building is a ground-plus-four structure without a lift. Our society was constructed in 1972. We have been struggling for many years due to being unable to undertake redevelopment.
Nikhil Desai, Varun Valley Society, Kandivli East
My society is within 358 yards of defence land. Our building is in bad condition and requires redevelopment. We have been struggling for many years but haven’t got permission. If we still fail to get permission, we will protest on the road and ask the local MLA and corporators to join us, as they are from the BMC. They should support us.
Sandeep Talekar, secretary, Shanti Nagar Society, Malad East
We have a four-storey structure constructed in 1975. We have combined Gautam Nagar society with our complex. We have 138 flats and 550 residents in total. We want redevelopment. All senior citizens are facing issues climbing four floors. The government should help us.
Subscribe today by clicking the link and stay updated with the latest news!" Click here!



