Mangalsutra, LED bulb, mop: Bizarre objects found inside living people

Feb 06, 2019, 21:30 IST
  • Mangalsutra, LED bulb, mop: Bizarre objects found inside living people

    On November 16, 2018, a 5-year-old girl swallowed an LED bulb while playing at home. Her family rushed her to a hospital after she started coughing and was breathless. What followed was a series of surgeries to get the foreign object out of her body, one of which also led to cardiac arrest.

    The child's chest was opened via a procedure that allows surgeons to access the chest cavity during surgery and after locating the sharp object, a bronchotomy was done to open the bronchus. The LED bulb was finally removed after carefully taking out the metallic prongs embedded in the wall of her lungs.

    (Bronchotomy: A medical procedure ensuring an open airway between a patient's lungs and the outside world) 

    1/19
  • Mangalsutra, LED bulb, mop: Bizarre objects found inside living people

    Doctors from the Vasai-Virar City Municipal Corporation hospital left a mop inside the stomach of a patient after conducting a caesarean section surgery on her. Renu Vishwakarma, developed severe stomach infection post the surgery and she was immediately admitted to Nair hospital's ICU and the doctors removed the mop from her stomach. The health officer of the Vasai Virar City Municipal Corporation said that  the matter would be investigated

    2/19
  • Mangalsutra, LED bulb, mop: Bizarre objects found inside living people

    In November 2018, objects such as mangalsutra, bangles, and iron nails, weighing around 1.5 kg in total, were removed from the stomach of a mentally-ill woman after surgery at the civil hospital in Shirdi. The woman, identified as Sangita, is in her mid-40s and suffers from 'acuphagia', a rare disorder which causes the person to eat metallic objects.

    3/19
  • Mangalsutra, LED bulb, mop: Bizarre objects found inside living people

    In October 2018, a three-year-old girl accidentally swallowed the safety pin that her mother had hung around her mangalsutra in Mumbai. Doctors at KEM Hospital had to retrieve the pin, which was open and had was lodged in her throat, through endoscopy. Doctors said that if the safety pin hadn't been removed on time, it could have turned dangerous for the child.

    4/19
  • Mangalsutra, LED bulb, mop: Bizarre objects found inside living people

    In an unusual case, as many as 40 knives were surgically removed from the stomach of a policeman who claimed that he used to feel an 'urge' to eat them. A team of five doctors carried out a five-hour-long surgery on Surjeet Singh, who was then employed with the Punjab Police

    5/19
  • Mangalsutra, LED bulb, mop: Bizarre objects found inside living people

    A woman who was addicted to pulling out and eating her own hair was operated on at Rajawadi hospital in Ghatkopar, where doctors removed a giant hairball weighing 750 g from her stomach. She was found to be suffering from the rare Rapunzel Syndrome, which has only ever been documented 88 times in medical literature the world over

    (Rapunzel syndrome is an extremely rare intestinal condition in humans resulting from ingesting hair)

    6/19
  • Mangalsutra, LED bulb, mop: Bizarre objects found inside living people

    After experiencing a grave struggle to breathe correctly and even a burning sensation inside her nose, 42-year-old Selvi from Tamil Nadu went to the Stanley Medical College Hospital. Doctors finally removed the obstruction with the aid of a torch and a nasal endoscope. The entire procedure took 45 minutes. To everyone's surprise, it turned out to be a living, full-grown cockroach. How the bug managed to enter the woman's nose baffled the medical team

    7/19
  • Mangalsutra, LED bulb, mop: Bizarre objects found inside living people

    Doctors at JJ Hospital were left stunned when they extracted 232 teeth from a teenager’s jaw. Senior doctors at the dental department of the hospital said they had never come across such a case before

    8/19
  • Mangalsutra, LED bulb, mop: Bizarre objects found inside living people

    A six-and-a-half-inch wooden stick was removed from the abdomen of a 10-year old boy from Barabanki. The operation was performed by a team of doctors from King George's Medical University (KGMU) pediatric surgery department

    9/19
  • Mangalsutra, LED bulb, mop: Bizarre objects found inside living people

    In a rare surgery, doctors at state-run Calcutta Medical College and Hospital took out more than 600 iron nails from a mentally unstable person's stomach. The procedure was performed after an ultrasonography test on the patient found that a lot of nails were piled in his stomach

    10/19
  • Mangalsutra, LED bulb, mop: Bizarre objects found inside living people

    Doctors at KEM hospital removed a hairball weighing about 3 kg from the stomach of a 14-year-old girl. The teen used to complain of pain in the abdomen and suffered from a rare condition, which made her eat her own hair for over 10 years.

    11/19
  • Mangalsutra, LED bulb, mop: Bizarre objects found inside living people

    A rare surgery was performed in Madhya Pradesh's Rewa district, where doctors removed 5 kilograms of iron objects including a chain, 263 coins and shaving blades, from the stomach of a man. The operation was performed at the Sanjay Gandhi Medical College and Hospital

    12/19
  • Mangalsutra, LED bulb, mop: Bizarre objects found inside living people

    According to reports, doctors from Jiangshu province in China removed a cigarette lighter out of a man's stomach after he had swallowed it whole. It is believed that the man had consumed drugs before swallowing the object entirely

    13/19
  • Mangalsutra, LED bulb, mop: Bizarre objects found inside living people

    Doctors from the Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences Hospital in New Delhi successfully removed a 6-foot long tapeworm from the mouth of a 48-year-old patient. The doctors used forceps to remove the parasite. Even the doctors expressed surprise at how long the worm was.

    14/19
  • Mangalsutra, LED bulb, mop: Bizarre objects found inside living people

    Doctors found nearly 150 pins inside various parts of a 56-year-old railway employee's body. The employee, who was from Kota, had safety pins and hypodermic injection needles piercing his wind pipe, food pipe, vocal cord and other critical parts. Only 92 pins were taken out during the surgery.

    15/19
  • Mangalsutra, LED bulb, mop: Bizarre objects found inside living people

    A dead foetus was removed from a 15-year-old Malaysian boy's stomach. The foetus was the boy's own twin who had not developed properly during the pregnancy

    16/19
  • Mangalsutra, LED bulb, mop: Bizarre objects found inside living people

    A dental drill fell into the windpipe of a patient while he was undergoing a root canal procedure. It was however, successfully removed by doctors at Nagpur's Getwell Hospital. The dangerous position of the drill meant that even slight dislodgement could have resulted in tragedy.

    17/19
  • Mangalsutra, LED bulb, mop: Bizarre objects found inside living people

    Doctors from Solihull hospital in the UK were shocked to find and remove 27 contact lenses stuck to the eye of a woman. The 67-year-old woman had not reported any problems, as she had attributed the discomfort to old age

    18/19
  • Mangalsutra, LED bulb, mop: Bizarre objects found inside living people

    Doctors in Vietnam removed a pair of surgical forceps that had been forgotten inside a man's abdomen almost 18 years prior. The patient believes the forceps might have been left behind after he underwent emergency surgery following an accident in 1998

    19/19
  • loading...

About The Gallery

From LED bulbs to safety pins and hair and in an extreme case an undeveloped foetus, check out these 19 bizarre instances where unlikely objects were found inside people

 

DISCLAIMER: mid-day and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.

 

This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK
The Guide Restaurant Awards 2019
Vote for your fave Bombay Adda from 6 nominees

Vote for your fave Bombay Adda from 6 nominees