The special TADA court yesterday rejected the application of an accused in 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case to turn an approver.
257 people were killed in 13 powerful blasts that rocked Mumbai on March 12, 1993. File Pic
“Your application is rejected,’ Special Judge G A Sanap told accused Firoz Khan. The court also rejected his oral request to keep him in Arthur Road jail till Eid. Earlier, Khan had applied to the court seeking to become an approver and get pardon in the case, following which he was transferred to Taloja jail in Navi Mumbai.
The prosecution said that it had enough evidence against all the accused and did not want any approver.
Meanwhile, the Arthur Road Central Prison authorities yesterday moved the special TADA court seeking transfer of Mustafa Dossa, another accused in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case, to Thane jail. The court yesterday directed the Prison authorities to keep Dossa in the high security ‘Anda cell’.
According to sources, the jail officials in the application said that Dossa was forming his own gang inside the jail. They also said that over 60 per cent of the inmates are Muslims and Dossa has supremacy over them. Prison officials further said that on May 30 there was a fight in the jail between two groups and they suspect Dossa’s role in it.
In the application, sources said, the officials said that the jail is overcrowded and has inmates over three times its capacity. They also said that even Dosa could also be attacked in the jail.
Seven accused — extradited gangsters Abu Salem, Mustafa Dossa, Karimullah Khan, Firoz Abdul Rashid Khan, Riyaz Siddiqui, Tahir Merchant and Abdul Quayyum — are facing trial in the case in which the court had earlier convicted 100 men, including Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt. The trial of these seven men was separated as they were arrested later.
As many as 257 people were killed in 13 powerful blasts that rocked Mumbai on March 12, 1993.