Patna: At least 60 people, including 34 children, were taken ill Tuesday after eating prasad (offering to a deity) in Bihar's Muzaffarpur district, officials said.
The incident took place at Parhenia village in Muzaffarpur, about 70 km from Patna.
The children were admitted to a hospital in critical condition, while the other affected people were discharged after initial treatment, said Shri Krishna Medical College and Hospital superintendent G.K. Thakur.
Relatives said that soon after eating the prasad, the children complained of stomach pain and started vomiting.
Police said the incident created panic among the villagers, as 23 children had died in July 2013 after eating poisonous food at a government school in Saran district.
Photos: Raveena Tandon, Sohail Khan at Marathi film 'Bhay' music launch
SRK-Gauri anniversary: B-Town stars and their non-filmi better halves
Birthday special: Popular mothers and daughters in Bollywood
Spotted: 'Kaabil' star Hrithik Roshan with dad Rakesh Roshan
'Rock On 2' trailer launch: Farhan, Shraddha enthrall audience with live gig