The special TADA court here which is conducting the trial in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case against eight accused today completed recording of their statements.
Under section 313 of Criminal Procedure Code, an accused is given an opportunity to personally explain the circumstances appearing in the evidence against him or her. Abu Salem, Riyaz Siddiqui, Karimullah Khan, Feroze Abdul Rashid, Tahir Merchant, Mustafa Dossa, Riyaz Siddiqui and Abdul Quayyum are facing trial in the case.
Salem in his statement claimed that he was innocent and had been falsely implicated. Witnesses deposed against him at the instance of CBI and he wanted to call four or five of them again for examination in the court, he said.
All the accused told the special judge G A Sanap that they will also submit written statements. Thirteen powerful blasts had ripped through Mumbai on March 12, 1993 killing 257 people and injuring 713.
The TADA court in 2006 convicted 100 accused, including Yakub Memon who was executed on July 30. The trial of Salem and others was separated because they were arrested later.
Photos: Ajay Devgn, Parineeti, Tabu at 'Golmaal Again' trailer launch
Photos: Dipika Pallikal Karthik oozes oomph in bikinis and sarees
Photos: Kareena Kapoor Khan's grand birthday bash
Photos: 'Dangal' girls Sanya Malhotra, Fatima Sana Shaikh's dinner outing
Photos: Salman Khan, Daisy Shah spotted at the Mumbai airport