Aamir Khan, one of the attendees of a cultural extravaganza at the Make In India Week event in Mumbai, says the fire at the venue was most unfortunate - and is glad the crisis was handled well.
Aamir Khan. File pic
"The fire during the live show at Chowpatty was most unfortunate but the crisis was very well handled by the Mumbai police, fire department and the Maharashtra government. The evacuation was carried out smoothly resulting in no casualties and no panic. The CM stayed till the end to oversee the evacuation. Excellent disaster management," Aamir posted on Facebook.
The fire broke out on Sunday during a performance of Maharashtra's Lavani folk dance at the mega event at Girgaum Chowpatty beach, the BMC Disaster Control said.
The fire was brought under control in about an hour. At least 14 fire tenders and 10 water tankers were rushed to the site. The stage was completely burnt down and the show was stopped midway (Read more).
Apart from Aamir, actors Amitabh Bachchan, Hema Malini, Katrina Kaif, Vivek Oberoi and Shreyas Talpade also attended the event. Maharashtra Governor C.V. Rao, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis and his wife Amruta Fadnavis, Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray and his wife Rashmi Thackeray were present at the venue too.
The BMC said the fire could have been caused by an electric short circuit.
Fadnavis termed the incident sad and said a comprehensive probe will be ordered and those responsible for it would face action.
In pictures: Bend it like Mumbai yogini Natasha Noel
Photos: Varun, Taapsee, Jacqueline promote 'Judwaa 2' on 'Dance Plus 3'
Instagram's newest sensation: Check out these photos of Bruna Abdullah
Photos: This is how Chitrangda Singh looks without make-up
Photos: Malaika Arora parties wearing see-through lace dress