Aamir Khan: 'Make In India' cultural show fire most unfortunate

Feb 15, 2016, 14:27 IST | IANS

Aamir Khan, one of the attendees of a cultural extravaganza at the Make In India Week event in Mumbai, says the fire at the venue was most unfortunate - and is glad the crisis was handled well.

Also read: Short circuit or firecrackers? Fire brigade probes cause of Make In India event blaze

Aamir Khan
Aamir Khan. File pic

"The fire during the live show at Chowpatty was most unfortunate but the crisis was very well handled by the Mumbai police, fire department and the Maharashtra government. The evacuation was carried out smoothly resulting in no casualties and no panic. The CM stayed till the end to oversee the evacuation. Excellent disaster management," Aamir posted on Facebook.

The fire broke out on Sunday during a performance of Maharashtra's Lavani folk dance at the mega event at Girgaum Chowpatty beach, the BMC Disaster Control said.

The fire was brought under control in about an hour. At least 14 fire tenders and 10 water tankers were rushed to the site. The stage was completely burnt down and the show was stopped midway (Read more).

Apart from Aamir, actors Amitabh Bachchan, Hema Malini, Katrina Kaif, Vivek Oberoi and Shreyas Talpade also attended the event. Maharashtra Governor C.V. Rao, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis and his wife Amruta Fadnavis, Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray and his wife Rashmi Thackeray were present at the venue too.

Also read: Aamir Khan, Kangana Ranaut meet Narendra Modi over dinner

The BMC said the fire could have been caused by an electric short circuit.

Fadnavis termed the incident sad and said a comprehensive probe will be ordered and those responsible for it would face action.

Go to top