Next

Authorities to crack down on spurious mawa

FDA demands manufacturers to sell mawa in hygienic bags, depute squads to stop entry of adulterated mawa and provide on the spot registration

After several cases of food poisoning were reported recently, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is leaving no stone unturned to ensure that the rest of the festive season passes off without any further incident.

Keeping that aim in mind, the FDA has decided to ask every mawa (thickened milk) manufacturer to sell their product in sealed hygienic bags rather than using gunny bags. 


Sweet tooth: Modaks, which are made out of mawa and consumed
mostly during festivals will be healthier from now on as manufacturers
have been asked to sell their products in clean hygienic bags.
Representation pic


In addition to the sealed bags, officials from the FDA have also decided to provide on the spot registration to manufacturers in an attempt to tighten the noose around the sale of spurious mawa in the city. "According to the regulations of the Food Safety and Standards Act (FSSA) all food manufacturers have to be registered.

The plan is to ensure that each manufacturer will have to register and during the registration process we shall ensure that packaging is given utmost importance," said Suresh Deshmukh, assistant commissioner (Food) FDA.
Taking cognisance of the food poisoning cases, a team of food inspectors will be deployed at every checkpoint. "We will be getting all manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers to register with us," added the FDA commissioner  Mahesh Zagade.

Zagade elaborated that the FDA will work in collaboration with transport authorities and police to keep a tab on cases of adulteration.

Helpline number
The FDA is planning to launch a number to allow consumers to lodge their complaints. Meanwhile, they can lodge their complaints at 26592207.

Food poisoning cases
Around 146 people in the Kothrud area, Pune were taken ill due to food poisoning after consuming bhagar on September 28. On October 3, 600 IIT-B students fell sick after having Chinese food from the canteen

Related Stories

    You May Like

    MORE FROM JAGRAN

    0 Comments

      Leave a Reply