Next

BMC's Standing Committee to reject proposal for Campa Cola demolition

While the civic body is searching for a contractor to demolish illegal flats in the controversial society, members of the Committee said they would stall any proposal for the same

The deadline for vacating illegal flats at Campa Cola society in Worli is fast approaching May 31 and there are already signs that November’s drama will be repeated.

With the BMC stating they will demolish the illegal flats come what may, residents claim they will protest at the gates, like they did in November last year. File pic
With the BMC stating they will demolish the illegal flats come what may, residents claim they will protest at the gates, like they did in November last year. File pic

The Standing Committee of the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) claims it will reject all proposals regarding demolition of flats at Campa Cola compound, tabled by civic authorities.

The civic body floated tenders for the job in the first week of May, but to their dismay, didn’t find any takers. Authorities have re-invited bids for the job.

However, even if the BMC does get proposals from contractors, its Standing Committee has decided to reject all plans. All proposals that are more than Rs 75 lakh in value have to get the Committee’s nod.

Manoj Kotak, a member of the Standing Committee, said, “The civic body never listens to anybody and thinks it is above the court and the CM.

Despite the fact that both had told them to arrive at a humanitarian solution to the problem, they have said there is no way to regularise the homes.

Now they will come to us to get the proposal to demolish the flats passed. We will completely oppose these plans, as we cannot be party to taking away someone’s shelter.”

Mohan Adtani, additional municipal commissioner and in-charge of executing the demolition of the disputed structures, confirmed that, indeed, no contractor had agreed to come on-board for the demolition. “We have re-invited bids for the work.

I cannot comment on the Standing Committee’s decision, but if a contractor is not appointed, we will use our own labourers to demolish the illegal flats,” he added, saying the civic body was only adhering to the Supreme Court’s order.

With the BMC having set their minds on razing the unlawful structures, residents are preparing for a battle. A resident, on condition of anonymity, said, “We hope no one takes away our homes. If the BMC shows up for the demolition, we will protest in front of our gate and won’t allow them to enter.”

You May Like

0 Comments

    Leave a Reply

    See More Latest News