Bombay Natural History Society
On August 15, 1905, the Government agreed to have a permanent memorial to commemorate visit of the Royal Highnesses, the Prince and Princess of Wales, to the City and Presidency in the form of a public museum and library
In 1957, an agreement between the Museum and the State Government was concluded as a result of which the Society severed its connections with the Museum.
The State Government agreed to fund the Society’s collections apart from exhibits at the Museum and the establishment to maintain them. The Indian Government stepped in and ensured that this Society stayed alive.
It offered to fund the setting up of ‘Hornbill House’ to house the Bombay Natural History Society. With a grant of `3.34 lakh from the Indian Ministry of Scientific Research and Cultural Affairs, Hornbill House was built by the Prince of Wales Museum and completed in 1965.
Dr Salim Ali Chowk, SBS Marg.
Shut on weekends