Cylinder blast kills four people in Santacruz, Mumbai
Four people from the same family lost their lives and three others sustained severe burn injuries after a leaking gas cylinder caught fire in Golibar Nagar Santacruz West on Thursday
Cylinder blasts kills four people in Santacruz, Mumbai
Four people from the same family lost their lives and three others sustained severe burn injuries after a leaking gas cylinder caught fire in Golibar Nagar Santacruz West on Thursday.
The incident took place around 10.30 am on Thursday after which the neighbours of the victims immediately rushed them to V N Desai Municipal Hospital for treatment. The fire brigade and disaster management department of BMC reached the spot around 45 minutes after the incident, by that time the neighbours had doused the fire themselves.
The incident took place on the ground floor of Dikshit family's duplex house in Golibar Nagar, a chawl vicinity in Santacruz east. According to the eye witnesses, a cylinder that caught fire engulfed the house in flames and severely injured Kapil Dev Dikshit (46), Rajdev Dikshit (44), Jitender Dikshit (20) and Yashwant Dikshit (16) who succumbed to the burn injuries.
While the blast took place on the ground floor of the house, three women who were on the upper floor also suffered injuries and are taking treatment at the same hospital. Doctors have already shifted Sahelja Dikshit, wife of Rajdev to Kasturba Hospital due to her severe injuries and rest two, Shobha and Meera are currently kept under observation.
Sunil Tiwari, one of the neighbour who saved a victims and doused the fire said that the door of the house was locked because it was filled with gas and they had to break in to save the people inside. "We sustained minor injuries too, while saving people and unfortunately the minutes delay caused the issue. In fact Rajdev, spoke to me when I brought him out. But couldn't make it to the hospital alive. The rickshaw drivers staying in our Chawl had their vehicles ready to move the victims. Disaster teams reached after the patients were moved and we doused the fire by sand," said Tiwari.