Kolkata: An Anglo-Indian woman, who was allegedly raped inside a moving car here in 2012, Sunday claimed she was denied entry into a city restaurant for being a "rape victim". The restaurant has refuted the claim.
The 40-year-old woman alleged that the management of Ginger, a restaurant-cum-bar in south Kolkata's Kalighat area turned her out.
"The management said they can't allow me because I was the Park Street rape victim. They said they have orders not to allow me inside. If I was raped, is it my fault? Why can't I try to live a normal life," the woman said.
The restaurant management, however, denied the charge and claimed the woman was turned out for being "troublesome".
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee
"She was not barred for being a rape victim. Rather she had earlier created trouble. We have video footage to show how she had created trouble after getting drunk, and so we barred her," said eatery owner Dipten Banerjee.
The mother of two was allegedly raped at gun-point inside a moving car and later thrown out in February 2012.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had courted controversy after she dubbed the incident "fabricated".
While five people were charged by the court, only three are behind bars. Two, including the prime suspect, are still untraced.
Spotted: Lara Dutta, Mahesh Bhupathi with their daughter in Bandra
Photos: SRK, Tamannaah Bhatia, Varun Dhawan at Mehboob Studio
Birthday special: Sushant Singh Rajput's journey from TV to films
Photos: Vibrant Sonakshi Sinha opens LFW 2017 on a cruise ship
Health in pictures: 8 reasons why people have unprotected sex