Akola: Upset over "apathetic" attitude of electricity department, a farmer couple consumed poison in its office near here today and is now battling for life in a hospital, police and hospital sources said.
Dilip Tayde and his wife Radha consumed poisonous substance in the electricity office premises near village Nimba Fata this afternoon, police sources said. They were immediately shifted to Civil Hospital, where sources said the duo is battling for life.
The couple resides at village Karanja Ramjanpur in Balapur taluka of Akola district and had applied for power connection for their agriculture pump two years, the sources said. Local Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company Ltd (MSEDCL) officials had not approved their application despite repeated requests.
The Taydes were apparently upset over the "apathy" shown by the MSEDCL officials and tried to commit suicide to protest their indifferent attitude, the sources said.
Pics: Prabhas, Tamannaah Bhatia at 'Baahubali 2' first look launch at MAMI
'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' photos: Aishwarya, Anushka, Karan get candid at MAMI
Photos: Huma Qureshi, Neha Dhupia and other celebs at MAMI
Photos: Amy Jackson, Daisy Shah at Mumbai airport
Photos: Sridevi, Irrfan and other celebs at 'Mughal-e-Azam' screening