A 275-year-old high security heritage building, part of the Naval Dockyard, at Lion Gate, Colaba went up in flames due to a short circuit at 4.30 pm yesterday. The fire which started on the second floor of the two storey structure began rising rapidly towards the ceiling, eventually completely burning down the building.
Naval Officials claimed that no casualty was reported as the Admiral Superintendent Dockyard building caught fire in the evening and most of the staff were leaving office, while a few had already left the building.
Up in flames: The navy used the building mainly for administration
work. It took four hours to put out the fire that was caused by a short
circuit. Pics/Atul Kamble
"It's a heritage building. Certain administrative documents and files were kept there and the structure was mainly used for administration purposes. However, the damage is still unknown, as most of the documents were not computerised. When the fire started, we vacated the staff from the building immediately," said Narendra Vispute, assistant PRO, Defence.
He further informed that although the Mumbai Fire Brigade, Naval Fire Fighters and INS Shikra Fire Brigade were engaged in trying to control the fire, it spread rapidly because the structure was made of wood.
16 fire engines and water tankers, along with ambulances, were mobilised by the BMC's disaster management cell immediately, and the fire was doused out at 8 pm, according to Vispute.
Bollywood celebs show you colours for Navratri 2017
Photos: Kareena Kapoor Khan, Kangana Ranaut at the Mumbai airport
Birthday special: Chris Gayle and his multiple records in cricket
In Pictures: 17 dreaded on-screen villains of Bollywood
'Ramayan' director's great granddaughter Sakshi's hottest photos