Formula One: Jules Bianchi out of coma, back in France

Formula One driver Jules Bianchi brought out of artificial coma and arrives back in France nearly seven weeks after his near-fatal crash at the Japanese Grand Prix

Nice (France): Formula One driver Jules Bianchi has been brought out of an artificial coma and arrived back in France on Wednesday nearly seven weeks after his near-fatal crash at the Japanese Grand Prix.

The 25-year-old Frenchman's family said in a statement that the Marussia driver was still listed as "critical" and that he could remain in a serious way for a long time.

(Inset) Marussia driver Jules Bianchi moments before the start of the Japanese GP. Emergency medical teams attend to 25-year-old Bianchi after the Frenchman crashed during the Suzuka Grand Prix. Pics/Getty Images 

They said they were delighted that he has stabilised enough to be flown to a hospital in Nice, near the family home.

"Jules is no longer in the artificial coma in which he was placed shortly after the accident, however he is still unconscious," read the statement.

"He is breathing unaided and his vital signs are stable, but his condition is still classified as 'critical'."

Bianchi, who crashed into a recovery vehicle on the rain-drenched Suzuka track on October 5, was flown back to France on Wednesday.

"Jules' neurological condition remains stable. Although the situation continues to be serious and may remain so, it was decided that Jules was sufficiently stable to be repatriated to his native France."

Bianchi, who had been at hospital at Yokkaichi near Suzuka, is now at the Centre Hospitalier Universitaire in Nice.

"We are thankful that the next phase of Jules' treatment can continue close to home, where he can be surrounded and supported by his wider family and friends," said the statement.

You May Like



    Leave a Reply