London: Your diet doesn’t only make you healthy and fit but also helps in playing a big part in your ageing process. From increasing your antioxidants to eating more fruits, one can keep a count of a few diet tips to stay younger always.
Erin McCann, nutritional consultant, shares some advice on getting the right nutrients from your diet to help you age gracefully and naturally too, reports femalefirst.co.uk.
* Increase your antioxidants: Antioxidants play an important role in reducing inflammation, repairing damaged cells and restoring balance throughout the body. These actions aid in prevention of chronic disease such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes and cancer. They also aid in reducing the signs of ageing by repairing damage to the skin from sun and pollutants and improving skin elasticity. Increase antioxidants by:
* Eating more fruits, like berries and citrus fruits and vegetables like leafy greens and squashes.
* Take a quality, natural supplement containing antioxidant rich plant extracts.
* Maintain a balance between Omega 3 and Omega 6 Fatty Acids: The balance between Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids is important for reducing inflammation in the body, supporting cognitive function and for maintaining cellular. This balance can be maintained by:
- Reducing processed, refined foods and takeaways in your diet.
- Eating fresh oily fish like wild salmon, mackerel, haddock and sardines 3 or more times a week.
- Cooking with coconut oil as an alternative to butter, margarine and other oils.
* Eat balanced meals and snacks regularly: Research has found that excess insulin can speed the ageing process and create inflammation in your body. You can balance insulin and blood sugar levels by:
- Eating meals with a combination of complex carbohydrates, quality vegetarian or lean animal proteins, and antioxidant rich vegetables.
- Having quality snacks between meals, such as hummus with vegetables or oatcakes, to maintain energy and balance insulin levels.
- Reduce stimulants like coffee which can increase insulin production.