Janata Dal leader Nitish Kumar will be sworn-in as Chief Minister of Bihar for fifth time. After his party's disastrous performance in the last Lok Sabha elections, he joined hands with Rashtriya Janata Dal president Lalu Prasad Yadav, providing a major challenge to BJP-led NDA in the assembly polls in the state.
We list some interesting facts of Nitish Kumar's journey in politics so far...
1. Nitish Kumar joined Ram Manohar Lohiya's youth wing, Samajwadi Yuvajan Sabha in 1971.
2. He participated in Jayaprakash Narayan's movement against Congress between 1974 and 1977.
3. He was arrested under the Maintenance of Internal Security Act during infamous Emergency.
4. Nitish Kumar, who will serve his fifth term as Bihar CM had unsuccessfully contested first assembly elections on Janata Party ticket in 1977.
5. Nitish Kumar was president of Yuva Lok Dal, Bihar in 1987–88.
6. He was appointed as secretary general of Janata Dal, Bihar. He was elected as a Member of Parliament for the first time in 1989.
7. Nitish Kumar was inducted into VP Singh Cabinet as Union Minister of State for Agriculture and Cooperation in 1990.
8. Later, he joined Atal Bihari Vajpayee-led NDA government as Union Minister for Surface Transport in 1999.
9. He also took charge of Ministry of Railways in Vajpayee government in 2001.
10. Nitish Kumar became Chief Minister of Bihar for the first time for 7 days only in 2000.
11. Nitish Kumar was elected as Chief Minister of Bihar for the second time with BJP's support in 2005.
12. JD-U in alliance with BJP got over three-fourth majority in Bihar Assembly polls and Nitish Kumar took oath of CM for third time.
13. Taking moral responsibility of JD-U's defeat in last general elections, Nitish Kumar resigned as CM.
14. Nitish Kumar replaced Jitan Ram Manjhi as Chief Minister of the state after political difference with the later.
15. He is widely known as 'Sushasan babu' (person known for good governance). During his tenure as Chief Minister, 50,000 criminals were put behind bars under between 2005-2010.