India condemns fisherman killing by US navy officials
Minister of State for External Affairs Preneet Kaur on Wednesday said that the killing of fisherman off the coast of Dubai was unfortunate, and a probe has been ordered.
Addressing mediapersons here, Kaur said that the External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna had already called for an investigation, and both UAE and US authorities were awaiting the final enquiry report.
"We deeply regret the death of Shekhar (the deceased fisherman) and sympathise with the families of the other three who were injured. Mr. Krishna has already given a statement. There is an enquiry going on at the moment and both (UAE and US) have said that we will come to know what the enquiry is,” Kaur said.
Earlier on Tuesday, an Indian fisherman, Shekhar, was killed and three others injured when the USNS Rappahannock opened fire on a boat in southern Gulf.
The US defence officials claimed that it had ignored the warnings.
Early this year, two Italian sailors had shot dead two Indian fishermen off the coast of Kerala, whom they mistook as pirates.