Two children of a family in Takalihaji village in Shirur taluka died of alleged food poisoning after drinking tea prepared in their house on Saturday. Two women from the family were also taken ill and are reportedly serious.
The police denied any sabotage or family rivalry, saying they suspected a pesticide or poisonous substance might have accidentally got mixed in the tea.
The deceased were identified as Pranjal Dhavale (5) and her brother Sangram (7). Two women, their grandmother Kamal Dhavale and Santabai Langhe, were undergoing treatment at a private hospital in Shirur.
"Kamal had prepared tea around 7 pm on Saturday.
As there was no electricity in the house at that time, we suspect that accidentally some pesticide or other poisonous substances could have got mixed in the tea," said Police Inspector Ashok Kshirsagar.
Photos: Shraddha Kapoor, Kim Sharma at 'Haseena Parkar' screening
Mumbai to Goa train: First look at the glass-top Vistadome coach
Shuttler Ashwini Ponnappa keeps it short and sexy on social media
Photos: Narendra Modi, others at Marshal Arjan Singh's funeral
Photos: Sussanne Khan and Nimrat Kaur spotted at a spa in Juhu