Man beaten by uncle not treated by hosp; FIR not registered for 30 days

Nov 25, 2011, 09:06 IST | Parth Satam
A 35-year-old assault victim was refused treatment for almost a day by the Yashwantrao Chavan Memorial (YCM) Hospital even as the police allegedly took 30 days to register an FIR against the assailants. Hanif Hussain Shaikh was brutally assaulted by his maternal uncle Jaleel Abdul Shaikh (47) and four others when he refused to transfer a chawl in Mumbai in his uncle's name.

Assaulted: Hanif Shaikh at the YCM hospital. pic/navnath kaple

His uncle claimed he had funded the education and medical expenses of Hanif's mother. Jaleel, who is an excise inspector, filed a complaint against Hanif on the day of the assault and is now reportedly pressurising the YCM authorities to discharge his nephew who is still under treatment.

Jaleel reportedly owns a water supply business and has several Assamese labourers working for him. On October 23 by 10.30 pm, four unidentified men vandalised the tailoring shop in Jama Masjid Compound where Hanif works. They then asked him to go and meet his uncle Jaleel after leaving the shop.

Hanif then walked across the Jama Masjid Compound where Jaleel along with Jaheer, Jahid, Siraj, Samad and a few of his labourers pounced upon him and beat him up. The assailants used iron rods, pipes and cricket bats, fracturing both his legs. Jaleel kicked his jaw so hard that it got partially fractured. No one was willing to take him to the hospital fearing a backlash from Jaleel. The Dehu Road police then admitted him to YCM around 12.30 pm.

Hanif's wife Farzana (33) said the doctors refused to admit Hanif for two days and gave him only a preliminary first aid. "They were demanding police intervention before they finally took him in. We do not have any money for the treatment and are now borrowing money from friends for the X-Ray and other examinations. My husband can't even eat because his jaw bone is shattered," said Farzana.

Dr Ashok Vhatkar from YCM said the patient's tibia and tibula muscles in both the legs were ruptured and they had to be plastered. "He should be discharged within the next one and a half months," he said. Vhatkar refused to comment when asked why Hanif was admitted only after a day. 

Dr Shyamrao Gaikwad said the patient was admitted after a  day but refused to elaborate.Farzana said the police were not ready to take down her complaint. "I had to go to the Pimpri police station and the rural police headquarters with a self-written complaint by my husband dated November 21. I finally went to Dehu Road police station, where Police Inspector Ram Jadhav promised immediate action and filed the FIR," she said.

Jadhav said the FIR was registered on the night of the incident and four people were arrested by the police. "Three took anticipatory bail and we are questioning one of them who is in our custody. We have booked them under Section 326 of the IPC," he said.

Go to top