The mishap happened after the deceased, M K Babu, who was lying down after lunch yesterday, decided to smoke a cigarette.
As he was smoking, he fell asleep with the lighted cigarette which apparently fell on the mattress burning it.
The fire spread fast due to a kerosene can near the bed.
The inmates of the house and neighbours noticed rushed to the house to find fire and smoke billowing out, police said.
Though he was rushed to hospital, his life could not be saved.
Spotted: Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma and other celebs at Mumbai airport
Photos: Salman Khan's 'special friend' Iulia Vantur at a song launch
Photos: Hrithik Roshan, Anushka Sharma, other celebs dazzle at event
In Pictures: Sex scandals involving Indian politicians
Photos: Abhishek Bachchan and Farah Khan at Boman Irani's birthday bash