Mumbai: Shah Rukh Khan to foot Rs 2 lakh bill for ramp demolition

The BMC has sent the actor a notice, seeking to recover the costs incurred for demolishing the ramp outside Mannat; a source close to him said he had offered to pay for it anyway and would issue a cheque as soon as he receives the notice

After demolishing the illegal ramp outside actor Shah Rukh Khan’s bungalow Mannat last month, the BMC has now sent a notice to the actor seeking to recover the costs of the demolition.

The BMC initiated action on February 13 and the demolition was completed in two days. File pic
The BMC initiated action on February 13 and the demolition was completed in two days. File pic

The notice, sent on March 5, asks Shah Rukh to pay approximately Rs 2 lakh as the demolition charges within seven days under Section 489(1) of the Mumbai Municipal Corporation (MMC) Act. While the actor was unavailable for comment, a source close to him pointed out that Shah Rukh had offered to pay for the demolition anyway.

Shah Rukh Khan
Shah Rukh Khan

He said a cheque for the amount would be issued to the BMC immediately after they get the notice. A senior officer from H-West (Bandra, Khar) ward told mid-day, “We have sent a notice to pay for the demolition of the ramp since it was illegal.

If he fails to pay the amount within seven days, we will add it to his property tax. The notice has been issued Under Section 489(1) of the MMC Act, which states that if an illegal structure is demolished, the concerned person should pay for it.”

The ramp was used by Shah Rukh to park his vanity van, but several activists and local residents had protested against it, contending that it blocked the way to and from Mount Mary’s Church.

mid-day was the first to report, on February 3, that BJP MP Poonam Mahajan had written a letter to Municipal Commissioner Sitaram Kunte, asking him to take action against the illegal ramp. The H-West ward office had swung into action and issued a notice to the actor, stating that the ramp should be demolished in seven days, or the BMC would take action.

The BMC initiated action on February 13 and the demolition was completed in two days. The demolition was started in the morning with ward officer of H-West, Vijay Kamble, overseeing the work. About 35 MCGM staff, 40 labourers from outside, 6 breakers, generator sets and JCB equipment were used since the ramp was a six-inch thick slab made of concrete.

‘Will pay immediately’
Shah Rukh Khan was not available for comment as he is shooting in Nepal, but a source close to the actor said that he had anyway offered to pay the BMC the amount incurred on the ramp. The source added: “The BMC notice is expected to reach Shah Rukh’s office on Tuesday. We will immediately issue a cheque of the mentioned amount to the BMC.”

You May Like



  • Vivek10-Mar-2015

    In instance such as these, it shouldn't be just the cost of demolition that needs to recovered. A severe penalty should also be imposed, as a deterrent measure. Plus there is the cost of restoring the sidewalk. In this case, I would say recover the cost of demolition plus repair, and impose a 20-lakh fine.

  • ramesh10-Mar-2015

    Just go and check something will be illegal during your house construction!!

Leave a Reply