After the second round of online admissions under 25 pc RTE quota saw zero applications, education department is now planning to reach out to parents through advertisements and awareness programmes
The second phase of online admissions under Right to Education (RTE) has hit a new low within the first few days, with zero applications submitted since May 23.
Parents are worried that their kids may not find a school to go to if their names don’t appear in the second round of admissions. File pic
Officials from the BMC’s education department and school education are planning to meet today in order to discuss fresh strategy to fill the seats.
Over 4,500 seats are lying vacant in schools across the city and the civic department has not been able to attract a single application till date.
“As no parents have come forward to apply for admissions, either individually, or through our guidance centres, senior officials will meet on Monday to chalk out an awareness programme,” said Sambhavi Jogi, education officer at BMC.
She revealed that apart from publishing advertisements in English and regional newspapers, the department might hold awareness programmes in certain sections of the city.
Also read: No rights for children with special needs?
Till last week, officials of the civic body were not sure if the remaining applications from the first round would be carried forward, or if parents would have to apply again.
Jogi cleared the issue, stating, “Since the applications have been verified and accepted in the first round itself, parents would not have to apply again. The system recognises their form and the same will be considered.”
Parents, on the other hand, are still worried that their kids may not find a school to go to if their names don’t appear in the second round of admissions.
“I had submitted the application for my son’s admission with all the required documents in the first round itself, but he was not allotted the seat. If they miss out his name in the second round, he won’t have a school to go to,” said Mahavir Rege, father of one of the applicants.
In the first round of admissions, the education department received 6,575 applications for 8,223 seats, available under the RTE’s 25% quota in 312 aided non-minority schools of Mumbai. After the end of the first phase, 3,380 students were allotted seats.
Total number of seats available under RTE’s 25% quota in city schools