Prashant Bhushan challenges Arvind Kejriwal to 'open debate' on Janlokpal Bill
New Delhi: Accusing Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal of 'betraying' people by diluting the Janlokpal Bill, Swaraj Abhiyan leader Prashant Bhushan on Tuesday took to air waves to challenge his former colleague to an 'open debate'.
The AAP, however, fielded Delhi Dialouge Commission vice-chairman Ashish Khetan to counter Bhushan, to which the activist-lawyer said Kejriwal was 'scared' of a debate.
"Few days back Delhi Chief Minister passed the Janlokpal Bill in the Cabinet and claimed to have fulfilled his assurance. I dont think so. I feel both the (anti-corruption) movement and country have been betrayed. This is why I invite him for an open debate so that people can themselves see who is lying and who is speaking the truth," a radio advertisment, which was played on FM channels, said.
Swaraj Abhiyan, led by Bhushan and Yogendra Yadav, has accused Kejriwal of passing a 'diluted' bill and termed it as a 'Mahajokepal' over the clauses like appointment, removal and ambit of investigation of the ombdusman.
Ashish Khetan said why did Bhushan and Yadav not protest outside Prime Minister Narendra Modi's residence for failing to appoint a Lokpal. Incidentally, the two had indulged in a public spat when Bhushan and Yadav were at odds with Kejriwal.
I am willing to have a public debate with both @_YogendraYadavj ji & @pbhushan1 ji on Jan Lokpal Bill, 2015.— Ashish Khetan (@AashishKhetan) December 1, 2015
The series of tweets read:
1. Why has Prashant ji never said a word on the massive DDCA scam & demanded a probe into allegations made against @arunjaitley Ji?— Ashish Khetan (@AashishKhetan) December 1, 2015
2. Why has Prashant ji suddenly stopped raising the issue of black money & lack of progress in the probe of foreign accounts by Modi govt?— Ashish Khetan (@AashishKhetan) December 1, 2015
3. Why didn't Prashant ji say a word in protest when Modi govt hijacked the ACB of Delhi govt leaving no recourse for delhites to complain?— Ashish Khetan (@AashishKhetan) December 1, 2015
4. Why has Prashant ji stopped raising the issue of the nexus between Modi ji and Adani and Ambani?— Ashish Khetan (@AashishKhetan) December 1, 2015
5. Why Prashant Ji & Yogendra ji never protested against Modi ji's failure to appoint a Lokpal even 1 & 1/2 yrs after becoming PM?— Ashish Khetan (@AashishKhetan) December 1, 2015
6. Why Prashant ji didn't protest outside Modi ji's residence when he refused to take any action against @ChouhanShivraj in Vyapam scam?— Ashish Khetan (@AashishKhetan) December 1, 2015
However, Bhushan hit back, on Twitter saying:
AK who authored JanLokpal Bill with me in team Anna scared to debate #AAPKaJokePal with me. Props up Ketan who was nowhere in IAC movement!— Prashant Bhushan (@pbhushan1) December 1, 2015