Pune: Round 2 of RTE admissions start out on a chaotic note

The list of 19 private schools that hadn’t participated in the first round of admissions owing to a technical snag had not been uploaded onto the admissions website, leading to confusion among parents

Rampant mismanagement in the education department delayed the second round of online admissions for 25 per cent seats reserved for underprivileged children under Right To Education Act (RTE) in Pune and Pimpri Chinchwad region yesterday.

The second round is being conducted for around 6,000 vacant seats in 220 schools from the Pune and Pimpri Chinchwad area. Representation pic

The list of 19 private schools, which had not participated in the first round of admissions owing to a technical snag, was not uploaded onto the admissions website before the evening hours, even though the online admission process was scheduled to commence in the morning itself.

Confused and flustered by the absence of the schools from the website yesterday, several confused parents gathered outside the state education directorate’s department office. Mahavir Mane, the education director (primary), opened the website for admissions around 5 pm. Mane said that the directorate was resolving some technical issues related to the online procedure, which had delayed the process.

The State Education Commissioner S Chocklingam clarified that parents would be able to fill up their admission forms by the evening, yesterday. “The website will become functional by the evening.

The list of 19 schools will be updated on the site soon. Parents who have not participated in the RTE admission process can participate in the process now by filling fresh application forms on the site.

Those who have already participated in the first round but could not get admission, can add their school options. Such parents need not to make fresh applications,” Chockalingam said.

The second round is being conducted for around 6,000 vacant seats in 220 schools from the Pune and Pimpri Chinchwad area.

Complaints and issues related to age limits, wrong locations, unregistered schools, and documents, among others, started pouring in, as soon as the first round of admissions began in March.

Since then, the education commissioner, along with the director and other officials, has been struggling to resolve each of the problems. While the second round is already underway, many of the issues encountered in the first round still remain unresolved.

Chockalingam said, “Some of the issues, such as setting age limits, are being temporarily fixed. Technical issues such as Google map markings of a few schools that were wrongly registered in the first round have been solved.”

Uniform admission age in all schools across boards, next year

All schools will have an uniform admission age across all boards at pre-primary level from the next academic year, announced State Education Commissioner S Chockalingam yesterday.

Due to varied age limit at nursery level admissions, the education department has encountered a host of problems while processing the 25 per cent reservation for admissions under Right to Education (RTE) Act.

At present, the education department has fixed tentative age limits for nursery, junior and senior kindergarten (KG), but a final call will be taken after meeting representatives of schools.

The education directorate is mulling over fixing the upper age limits at two-and-a-half years for nursery, three-and-a-half years for junior KG, and four-and-a-half for senior KG.

Speaking to media persons, Chockalingam said, “Ever since the admission procedure to RTE 25 per cent quota began, we have been struggling with the problem of varied admission age limits set by schools. All schools have a different age limit and we have received cases where student have been denied admission on the sole ground that they did not fit into the age limit set by the school.”

Chockalingam and representatives of schools met on Monday to discuss this issue and for now, the school will make changes in the RTE software and set up the age limit. “This is the temporary arrangement to resolve the age issue. However, there is a need for uniform policy across all boards and also in the entire state,” said Chockalingam.

You May Like



  • Meenakshi06-May-2014

    The age of 2.5 for nursery is as on 30/4 or 10/6? There are schools who are admitting kids for 2.3 for nursery as well in nasik. Are we not putting up too much pressure on kids who are suppose to attend a playgroup and we are forcing them for nursery.

Leave a Reply