In an unfortunate incident, a 13-year-old boy lost his life after the rope supporting the swing he was playing with snapped and got entangled with his neck.
The victim was identified as Meet Jain, a student of Std VIII. Officials of the Rajawadi police station registered an Accidental Death Report (ADR).
The incident occurred on Thursday around 7.30 pm after Meet returned from tuitions.
As he had an exam the next day, the boy decided to study after taking a short break and started playing with the swing at his residence in Bhatwadi, Ghatkopar.
However, the rope supporting the swing snapped and got entangled around Meet’s neck, almost strangulating him. The boy was alone at home when the incident occurred.
“His mother, who was in the shop below their house, had asked Meet to read loudly so that she could hear him.
She rushed upstairs after she failed to hear her son doing his lessons, andsaw him writhing in pain with the rope around his neck.
She cried for help and with the assistance of neighbours rushed Meet to a nearby hospital. However, the boy had breathed his last by the time we arrived at the institute. The staff of the private hospital then asked us to take the body to Rajawadi Hospital,” said Atul Sarmalkar, Jain’s neighbour.
Meet’s body was handed over to his family after an autopsy was conducted around 10.30 am yesterday at the Rajawadi Hospital.
The last rites were performed later. “The post-mortem was conducted today (Friday) morning and revealed asphyxia as the cause of death, which was due to the accidental hanging,” said Dr Sanjay Wathore, forensic surgeon at Rajawadi Hospital.
“Meet was a jolly person and a good friend. He liked playing football. We always went together to play and shared all our notes. We were excited for the upcoming camp that was announced by theschool that was to be held after our semester exams got over. I will miss him,” said Jayesh Sarmalkar, Meet’s friend and classmate.