Tears, anger at vigil for girl who died due to medical negligence

“My sister deserves justice, as she has fallen prey due to the negligence of doctors at Criticare hospital. The loss to our family is unbearable but only strict action by concerned authorities will save other lives in future,” said a grieving Abhijeet Bhavsar at a vigil held yesterday to protest and pay tribute to 21-year-old Anuradha Bhavsar, who her family alleges died to due to medical negligence at the Andheri hospital on Thursday.

Rallying for justice: A vigil was held yesterday to protest and pay tribute to 21-year-old Anuradha Bhavsar, who her family alleges died to due to medical negligence at Criticare hospital

The family had initially planned to take out a protest rally from their Four Bungalows residential society to the hospital and a silent candle light session was to be conducted outside the hospital to demonstrate against the facility and pay tribute to the young girl.

Click to view: Girl dies 10 days after doctors remove football-sized tumour

But after the police denied permission for the same, the vigil was held at their building premises, which was attended by hundreds of people, including family, friends and neighbours from the society. The mood was at times tense and angry and a signature campaign was also held.

The signatures will be handed over to the police so that swift action is initiated in the case.

MiD DAY had earlier reported on the incident (‘Girl dies 10 days after doctors remove football-sized tumour’, August 9) wherein the family had said that that doctors at Criticare assured them that Anuradha would recover within two days of the operation.

Anuradha was admitted to the hospital on July 29. Doctors then conducted a surgery to remove a tumour above her kidney, but a week later she died at the hospital due to severe internal bleeding. The family has been vocal about their quest for more answers in the case, and this vigil is one way in which they hope to catch the attention of the authorities.

Anuradha’s parents are still trying to come to terms with the loss of their only daughter and are now demanding strict action against the hospital and are also requesting police authorities to cooperate after the post mortem report is received from JJ hospital. “The post-mortem report is expected next week and we are requesting authorities to speed up the process once the evidence report reaches them,” added Abhijeet.

Ramesh Arelly, a resident of Four Bungalows, said, “We expected help from the police authorities which we did not get, and this has added to the anguish of the residents staying here. It was just a silent protest that we were going to conduct so that the hospital authorities realise that they can’t neglect any patient’s health.”

“Their march was to commence from Four Bungalows, which falls under the jurisdiction of Versova police station. Since they did not give them approval, and we did not get a consent from the commissioner, we denied them permission,” said, R Chavan, senior police inspector, D N Nagar police

    Leave a Reply