1) What ingredients are some of the biggest culprits that find their way into hair and skin products that the common user must guard against?
Phthalates, Formaldehyde, Resorcinol, Preservatives (Paraben, Methyl). All of them combined together especially, can prove to be carcinogenic.
2) What, according to you, is the biggest cause for hair loss among working, urban adults (male and female)?
Pollution is the biggest factor. Sweat, caused by pollution, usage of wrong serums, constant blow drying, wrong colouring, frequent highlighting and straightening.
3) What is the best, quick-fix home remedy to drive away the first signsof wrinkles?
There are no quick fixes. It is a constant battle. Regular hydration (moisturising) is a must. Breaking open Vitamin E capsules. But remember, ‘Mother Age’ and ‘Father Time’ always take their course.
4) How much sun exposure is ideal on a daily basis?
Not more than 10 minutes; that too, kachchi dhoop (early morning and late evening).
5) How different is Indian skin, from a maintenance view point, in comparison to say, European or American skin?
Absolutely different. Genetic code, climactic conditions make a huge difference. Even in India, skin from Kashmir to Kanyakumari is different. Each skin texture is a finger print in itself. Maintenance of skin requires proper cleansing, washing, proper cell renewal and of course, hydration.
YOUR SUN-BLOCK GUIDE
> Clouds do not protect you from damaging ultraviolet rays
> The sun’s ultraviolet rays penetrate many types of clothing
> Dry, dehydrated skins burns more than well-hydrated skin
> The sun can damage your eyes, increase the risk of cataracts
> Remember to apply sun block to your hands, ears and top of the feet too
> Peak time UV radiation from the sun is mostly between 8.30 am and 5.30 am
> Wear a wide-rim hat to protect your face, ears and scalp
> Use a mineral-based sun block
> Use a self tanner if you really want to tan
Extracted from Beauty Unleashed, Dr Dinyar Workingboxwalla, Westland Books
THE DOCTOR’S CLIENTELE
> Lara Dutta
> Jacqueline Fernandez
> Kim Sharma
> Mehr Jessia
> Divya Dutta
Beauty Unleashed, Dr Dinyar Workingboxwalla, Westland Books, Rs 295. Available at leading bookstores