Student Protest: Sonu Nigam postpones Delhi concert after receiving backlash over silence

24 July,2026 06:09 PM IST |  Mumbai  |  mid-day online correspondent

Sonu Nigam has postponed his Delhi concert amid the ongoing student protests. The singer said the show was delayed keeping the current sentiment in mind. The postponement comes a day after he got backlash for not commenting on the ongoing situation

Sonu Nigam. Pic via Instagram


Your browser doesn’t support HTML5 audio

Singer Sonu Nigam has postponed his upcoming concert in Delhi amid the ongoing student protests over the NEET paper leak. The decision comes as the national capital continues to witness demonstrations demanding education reforms and accountability, with several public figures expressing solidarity with the students.

Sonu Nigam postpones concert

Sonu's concert, BOSSitivity - Sonu Nigam Remembers Rafi, was scheduled to take place at the Yashobhoomi Convention Centre in Dwarka on July 25. However, fans noticed that tickets for the event were no longer visible on ticketing platforms, while promotional material only carried the August 15 date, fuelling speculation that the show had been postponed.

According to Hindustan Times, Sonu Nigam confirmed that the event had indeed been pushed back. "It's been postponed keeping the current sentiment in mind," the singer told the publication.

The development comes just a day after a video of Sonu went viral in which he declined to comment on the ongoing protests during a media interaction and got severe backlash for it. When reporters repeatedly sought his views, the singer appeared uncomfortable and ended the interaction, saying, "It's done now, that's it."

While Sonu has not issued a separate public statement on the protests, his decision to postpone the concert has been seen as an acknowledgement of the prevailing mood in the capital.

Celebs postpone events

Sonu is not the only celebrity to alter professional commitments in light of the protests. Comedian Anubhav Singh Bassi cancelled his July 25 show at Delhi's Talkatora Stadium, informing fans on Instagram that a new date would be announced soon and that ticket refunds would be processed.

Earlier, Soha Ali Khan also postponed the release of the next episode of her podcast in solidarity with the students. Explaining the decision on social media, she wrote that it was important for students' voices to be heard at this moment rather than those of public figures.

The protests, led by the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP), have continued for several weeks, with students demanding action over the NEET paper leak, broader reforms to the education system and the resignation of Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan. The movement has drawn support from several members of the entertainment industry, with many calling for dialogue between the government and students while urging that the protests remain peaceful.

"Exciting news! Mid-day is now on WhatsApp Channels Subscribe today by clicking the link and stay updated with the latest news!" Click here!
Sonu Nigam bollywood bollywood news Entertainment News Entertainment News Update
Related Stories