The demolition drive in Garib Nagar area of Bandra East in Mumbai continued on Thursday under heavy police deployment following tensions and clashes reported during the operation on Wednesday. Pics/Sameer Abedi
Updated On: 2026-05-21 06:45 PM IST
Compiled by : Asif Ali Sayed
A large number of police personnel remained stationed across the locality to maintain law and order as demolition teams continued removing illegal structures from railway land near Bandra East railway station
Officials said nearly 85 per cent of the overall demolition work at the site has now been completed as authorities continue action against illegal encroachments in the area
According to officials associated with the operation, around 1,200 security personnel have been deployed at the demolition site to maintain law and order and prevent any further disturbances
Following the violence that erupted on Wednesday, the Mumbai Police registered an FIR at Nirmal Nagar Police Station against 10 identified accused people and several others under multiple provisions of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS)
According to the FIR, the incident took place during an operation aimed at removing illegal encroachments and unauthorised structures
For maintaining law and order during the operation, personnel from the Mumbai Police, the Railway Protection Force (RPF), Home Guards and other departments had been deployed at the site
Speaking to IANS, CPRO Vineet Abhishek said, "The demolition work has been going on continuously. By yesterday evening, we had completed about 60 per cent of the demolition work, and as of today, nearly 85 per cent of the demolition has been completed"