Maharashtra: Shop, 16 bikes gutted after power transformer catches fire in Thane

14 May,2024 05:16 PM IST |  Thane  |  mid-day online correspondent

A shop and 16 bikes were gutted in fire near a railway station in Thane district

Representational Pic/File/iStock

Your browser doesn’t support HTML5 audio

A shop and 16 bikes were reportedly gutted after a power transformer caught fire near a railway station in Maharashtra's Thane district on Tuesday morning, a civic official said, reported the PTI.

According to the news agency, a power transformer near Badlapur railway station caught fire around 6.30 am, said Bhagwat Sonanwane, chief fire officer of the Kulgaon-Badlapur fire station.

Local firefighters rushed to the scene, and the blaze was put out within an hour, he said.

No one was injured in the incident, but a shop and 16 motorcycles parked in the area were gutted, the official said.

Preliminary reports suggest that the fire was a result of a short circuit, he said, as per the PTI.

Meanwhile, in an another incident, a major fire broke out on Monday at a chemical godown in Thane district, a civic official said, reported news agency PTI.

No person was injured in the blaze which erupted at around 3 am at the godown located in Mankoli area of Bhiwandi, Thane Municipal Corporation's disaster management cell chief Yasin Tadvi said, reported PTI.

The entire chemical godown in Thane district collapsed due to the fire, he said.

The area was filled with a foul smell as chemicals kept in the warehouse got burnt, as per locals.

A fire engine each was sent from the Bhiwandi Nizampur Municipal Corporation, Kalyan-Dombivli civic body and Thane to the spot and the blaze was brought under control by around 9.30 am, the official said, reported PTI.

Fire personnel faced difficulties in dousing the blaze as water was not available in the vicinity, he said, reported PTI.

All precautions were taken to prevent the fire from spreading to the adjacent godowns, he added.

The cause of the fire was yet to be ascertained.

In another incident, a fire broke out in a scrap godown in Mumbai's eastern suburb of Govandi on Sunday, officials said.

No injuries have been reported due to the fire, labelled as 'Level 1' (minor), that started around 5.50 pm in the Kurla-Mandala area, the fire official said.

Four fire engines, as many water tankers and other firefighting equipment have been sent to the spot, he said, adding that a similar incident had been reported in the locality earlier.

(with PTI inputs)

"Exciting news! Mid-day is now on WhatsApp Channels Subscribe today by clicking the link and stay updated with the latest news!" Click here!
maharashtra thane Thane Municipal Corporation mumbai news mumbai
Related Stories