A gas cylinder explosion in a house in Mumbai's Chembur area triggered the collapse of five houses on Wednesday morning, officials said. According to a report in PTI, 11 persons were reduced by the officials at the site.
The report further stated that the civic officials said six persons, including a 47-year-old woman, sustained injuries during the incident. The incident happened at Old Barrack near the Golf Club in Chembur around 7.50 am on Wednesday.
"A gas cylinder exploded in a house, leading to the collapse of five two-storey structures," a civic official told PTI.
Pawar announces Rs 78,000 grant per household for centre's rooftop solar scheme
False fire alarm at Mumbai high-rise; cops told to take action against caller
Mumbai: Rampant construction work leaves Juhu residents gasping for air
Forced to withdraw case: Woman after filing rape case against ex-corporator
Bombay High Court upholds doctor's conviction in patient's death after 40 years
Six persons, including a 47-year-old woman, were injured in the incident. All of them were admitted to the nearby Shatabdi Hospital. They are being treated at the Out-patient Department (OPD) of the hospital and their condition is stable, the PTI report quoted the civic official as saying.
A civic official told PTI that the explosion had caused significant damage with resulted in the collapse of nearly four to five two-storey structures. The official said 11 people, including five persons stranded on the first floors of the homes, were rescued.
The fire brigade, police, civic personnel, ambulance services, and other agencies were mobilised to manage the aftermath of the gas cylinder explosion and subsequent house collapses.
"Five fire brigade vehicles are currently at the spot and the personnel are carrying out a search operation to ensure that nobody is trapped under the debris of the collapsed houses," he said.
Recently, in a similar incident, a fire had broken out in Bandra following a gas cylinder explosion; eight persons were injured in the incident. Reportedly, the incident happened on the Gazdhar Band Road in Fitter Galli at around 6.20 am. The firefighters had reached the spot promptly and put out the fire by 6.40 am.
Reportedly, the fire was confined to a structure spanning 10 x 10 feet on the ground floor with an upper floor and it primarily affected the electric wiring, electric installations, and a stock of clothes.
The assistant medical officer at Bandra Bhabha Hospital said, Nikhil Das, aged 53, sustained 35 per cent burns from the incident, while Rakesh Sharma, aged 38, and Shan Ali Zakir Ali Siddiqui (31) both suffered 40 per cent burns. Meanwhile, two others - Anthony Paul Thengal (65) and Kalicharan Majilal Kanojiya (54) - sustained 30 and 25 per cent burn injuries respectively. Samsher, aged 50, suffered facial burns while Sangita, aged 32 was admitted to the Orthopaedic ward for minor injuries. Meanwhile, another woman identified as Seeta (45) refused hospitalisation.