17 August,2026 08:10 AM IST | Mumbai | Eeshanpriya MS
The collapsed cement-roofed gazebo at Mala Garden.Pic/Atul Kamble
The BMC has directed that lightweight materials be used for future beautification works in public spaces after a gazebo collapsed at Mala Garden in Pratiksha Nagar, Sion, injuring at least three people.
The directive follows a preliminary assessment that the gazebo itself was intact, but vibrations from other work being carried out nearby may have triggered the collapse. The weight of the structure then caused injuries, according to the BMC's Additional Municipal Commissioner in charge of disaster management, Avinash Dhakne.
The incident was one of three emergencies reported across the city between Tuesday and Wednesday, leaving 10 people dead and at least 11 injured.
Bystanders help the injured residents before they are taken to Sion Hospital in private vehicles. Pics/By Special Arrangement
"I have issued directives that all material used for beautification should be lightweight. Beautification should prioritise the safety of those who are in its surroundings," Dhakne told mid-day. He said the directive would apply to future beautification works.
On the Kurla landslide, Dhakne said the Geological Survey of India had identified landslide-prone areas and informed the BMC about locations requiring vigilance.
He said, however, that addressing the vulnerability of residents living in such areas and carrying out mitigation work requires coordination between multiple agencies.
"Multiple agencies are involved when it comes to on-ground solutions. Active coordination from BMC is a priority so we can mitigate the impact in terms of loss to life and property," he said.
The civic administration is also asking ward offices to remain vigilant in vulnerable areas and is working on coordinated disaster response and public awareness.
"No life should be lost due to a disaster whose impact can be managed," Dhakne said.
The BMC's fire-safety focus this year will include coaching classes, particularly those operating in crowded buildings that may not be authorised to accommodate large numbers of students or may not meet fire-safety requirements.
Dhakne said the number of such potentially vulnerable coaching centres could run into hundreds, although the civic administration does not yet have a confirmed figure.
"The number may go into hundreds. We are not even sure about this, and we are actively investigating every day how many people can be in danger," he said.
The Mumbai Fire Brigade had focused on malls and shopping complexes last year, inspecting 76 premises for fire-safety violations and taking action where required.
>> Coaching classes
>> Restaurants and eateries
>> Bars
>> Other public places with high footfall
Residential buildings will continue to be covered through inspections and enforcement. Dhakne said housing societies are responsible for meeting fire-safety requirements, while the BMC will carry out random inspections and penalise repeated non-compliance. Awareness campaigns will also be conducted for residents.
Incident Deaths Injured
Kurla landslide 8 7
Vile Parle building fire 2 -
Sion gazebo collapse - At least 3
Total 10 At least 10
The story currently gives seven injured in the landslide and at least three in the gazebo collapse. It does not give an injury figure for the Vile Parle fire. The stated overall figure of 11 injured therefore needs verification.