30 June,2026 03:23 PM IST | Mumbai | mid-day online correspondent
Representational image. File pic
A protest has been launched in Mumbai after the Maharashtra government announced that it would take a decision on Scheduled Caste (SC) sub-categorisation only after holding consultations with all stakeholders.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis on Tuesday said the state government has not taken any final decision on the sub-categorisation of Scheduled Castes (SCs) and will act only after extensive consultations while strictly complying with the directions of the Supreme Court.
While speaking at the Maharashtra Monsoon Assembly Session, Fadnavis said that the exercise aims to identify Scheduled Caste communities that have remained deprived of adequate representation despite the existing reservation system, as per PTI.
Fadnavis further stressed that the issue is not about introducing a fresh reservation within the SC quota, but about examining the representation of different communities in accordance with the Supreme Court's directions on sub-classification.
He further said the government had constituted the Badar Committee, which has submitted its report.
"The report was placed before the state cabinet, where it was decided that suggestions and objections should be invited from all stakeholders because the matter affects a large section of society," CM Fadnavis added.
Fadnavis said a committee headed by the Chief Secretary has been formed to receive suggestions and objections and conduct hearings before making any recommendations.
He said the government has not introduced any Bill on the issue in the legislature.
He also said, "The government's stand is clear. A final decision will be taken only after wide consultations, and while taking that decision, the directions of the Supreme Court will be followed in letter and spirit," as cited by PTI.
The Chief Minister further said the government has no intention of doing injustice to any community and that appropriate measures would be taken if any scheduled caste community was found to have been left behind.
Referring to Congress Legislature Party (CLP) leader Vijay Wadettiwar's remarks on the protest by SC communities, Fadnavis said Karnataka had already implemented SC sub-categorisation in line with the Supreme Court''s judgement.
He also added, "However, Maharashtra does not want to impose any decision unilaterally and instead wants to build consensus by consulting all stakeholders and legislators before taking a final call," as cited by PTI.
(With inputs from PTI)